68 - Dreaming

Can

My eyes fixed on hers, I wait for her to speak.
She's conflicted, I can clearly see it, she's afraid to let me get too close and I don't want to pressure her. I decided long ago to be patient and give her space and a way to get used to me again.

"Sanem, take it easy, I am fine even sitting here tonight. Drink your tea and relax, let's enjoy this beautiful fire."

She takes small sips staring intently at the flames casting shadows on her face playing with the light reflected iridescently in her eyes.
I decide to lighten the mood by saying the first thing that crosses my mind. "I've always loved the mountains, the snow, the spectacular views once you've reached the summit, but the open fire in a hut has always been synonymous with peace and quiet for me. Even after the most treacherous climbs, arriving at the huts and drinking a hot chocolate in front of the fire is the most beautiful of rewards.

I know I'm talking in circles but it's no problem, it seems to work and before long I see her relaxing, asking me questions about the climbs I have done on the world's highest peaks. Somehow we manage to recapture the atmosphere of just before, enjoying each other's company without the worry of having to weigh every word.

Time passes quickly, I get up several times to feed the fire with new wood then, when I begin to see that she can hardly keep her eyes open due to sleep I invite her to go to sleep.
"Wait just a moment"
I reach the bedroom and in the wardrobe I find sheets, blankets and pillow which I take to the living room where Sanem has left the armchair to go to the kitchen to put away the cups we drank in.
I move the armchairs and create a makeshift bed on the thick fur rug placed right in front of the hearth. When she comes back into the living room from the kitchenette she gives me a puzzled look.
"But Can, won't you be uncomfortable on the floor?"
I smile at her, trying to be as convincing as possible.
"No, not at all, in fact I have done it several times and I really enjoy sleeping in front of the fire. During my world travels I got used to sleeping in all conditions, it's not a problem."
She continues to be uncertain.
"Are you really sure?"
I make a firm gesture with my hand pointing to the bedroom.
"Go to sleep, you're tired, don't worry about me, I'll be fine."
As I add more wood to the fire I hear her moving between the bathroom and the bedroom, as she closes the bedroom door behind her I wait a few minutes and then start to remove my clothes to go to sleep. I don't notice the door opening, I only hear a muffled exclamation behind me that draws my attention as I'm placing the trousers I've just taken off on the back of the armchair.
I turn around and see Sanem standing in front of the curtain closing the kitchen compartment, silently observing me with an intense gaze. I leave her to it, I do not move, remaining motionless under her meticulous exploration while I decide to do the same to her.
The nightgown I bought her fits her beautifully. When I organised this surprise weekend I didn't want to go through her things to prepare a duffle bag with the necessary for the night so I bought some new underwear and I particularly liked this simple black silk nightgown.
It slips over her body like a second skin, the lace neckline, knee-length with a matching kimono dressing gown of the same fabric.
I can't deny that while I was choosing that impalpable fabric for a few moments I let my imagination wander, fantasising about seeing her wearing it, trying to guess how that ethereal fabric would fall on her forms which, with pregnancy, have become fuller, even more feminine. And I was not wrong, it is a vision to see her there, her hair loose on her shoulders and her feet bare. At a certain point she seems to shake herself out of the stillness she had fallen into, and parting the curtain leading into the kitchen she mumbles: "I was thirsty..."
She disappears into the small room, but it is not long before I hear a sudden noise of breaking glass. I rush to see what has happened and find her there, surrounded by the splinters of the shattered water jug.
"Freeze, don't move."
I hurry to put on my boots and return to the kitchen where, trying to avoid the larger pieces of glass, I reach for her, picking her up and carrying her to the bedroom. Once in front of the large canopy I let her go and in doing so her body, covered only by the impalpable silk fabric, brushes against my, dress only by my  boxers.