Chapter 22: Five Harsh People

Taehyung, in confusion, could only blink rapidly when Jeongyeon suddenly appeared before him, catching her breath.

Taehyung: Are you okay? What's up?

Jeongyeon: *took a deep breath first* Let's go to the ball together.

Taehyung: *confused* Uhhhhhhh, I am actually bringing our 2-seater car, I already told dad about it. But let me see if I can change it so we can all go together.

Jeongyeon: That's not what I mean! Oppa!

Taehyung: Jeongie...

Jeongyeon: I am asking you to be my date at the ball.

Taehyung: I- I am sorry I didn't realize that's what you meant.

Jeongyeon: Were you not asking me?

Taehyung: Oh god, did I get drunk and ask you?? 😦😦

Jeongyeon: No! 😫 That's what I thought. I had this impression that you were asking me. Were you not?

Taehyung: No...

Jeongyeon: But why were you insisting on me coming?

Taehyung: Because I want you to...

Jeongyeon: Because there's something important that you want to tell me, right?

Taehyung: Yes.

Jeongyeon: What?

Taehyung: I want to tell you at the ball.

Jeongyeon: I am not coming.

Taehyung: Then you'll know after.

Jeongyeon: *exhales sharply* I like you! I didn't want to tell you, but my instincts tell me to tell you.

Taehyung: Well of course I like you too! Remember, you are my first friend, you and Jihyo. You are my best friend.

Jeongyeon: I don't want that. I don't want that friendship.

Taehyung: Mwo?

Jeongyeon: I don't know when it all started, but I can only see you whenever I imagine the future. About my future. *moves closer to Taehyung and held his hand desperately* Why don't we try? You said you trust me and I know that I'm the person who knows you best after your parents. Oppa, please. 😔

Taehyung: I'm sorry. I'm sorry if I confused you. But I only want you to be my friend.

Jeongyeon: *stepped back* Wae?? You're not even trying! 😢

Taehyung: Because I can't see it. I can't see you in my future. Not now, not ever.

Jeongyeon: Jinjja?? Not ever? Not even before?

Taehyung: Never.

Jeongyeon wanted to wake up at that point. She wanted to believe that everything that was happening was just a bad dream, but it wasn't. The hurt she was feeling was all too real for it to be a nightmare. Kim Taehyung rejected her—so harshly.

Taehyung: Jeongie, I just don't like you, I love you. I want you to be happy because I care for you. But not in the way that you think.

Jeongyeon: Do- do you have a date at the ball? Are you coming with someone?

Taehyung: *exhales* Ne.

Jeongyeon: Who??

Taehyung: With the girl that I love most.

Jeongyeon: *scoffs* Jinjja. Do you have to tell me?

Taehyung: You asked.

Jeongyeon: Who is she? Do I know her? Is it Sana? Mina? Nayeon?? Nancy?? Who??