Chapter 23: Yoo Jeongyeon I

A few years ago in Daegu:

I didn't expect that this normal day would turn into something else. I was panicking and almost crying while I roamed around the market near our house. It was almost half an hour already but I haven't seen him yet. Where was he?

As if the day wasn't too bad yet, I bumped into someone and he was holding something in his hands—I was guessing it was coffee from its smell—and it spilled all over his clothes. I was surprised but I did not have the time and energy to genuinely feel sorry for him. I quickly glanced at him and decided to move on.

He then came after me and tried to block my way. It was my first time seeing his face—he was fairly good-looking.

Taehyung: Yah! Are you really just gonna leave me here? Look at what you did!

Jeongyeon: I'm sorry, okay? I really am. But I have no time to be worried about you. I am going through a situation too. Life and death.

Taehyung: Jinjja???

Jeongyeon: Yeah, so please, stop wasting my time and don't attempt to block me again if you still love your life.

Taehyung: And who do you think you are??

Jeongyeon: *glares at Taehyung who gulped and made a way for her*

I was still pacing when I noticed that the boy I just met was following me. He was not trying to be discreet but he also seemed trying not to disturb me. Maybe he could help me. Maybe.

Jeongyeon: *stopped walking* You. *not looking in Taehyung's direction* Please help me. I lost my brother. He's wearing a uniform. Please, help me!

After about another 10 minutes, I finally found him—my brother. I couldn't move. He was sitting beside a trash can and people were looking down on him, some were even scoffing. I wanted to cry but I had to be strong for him like always.

Jeongyeon: Dong Hee-ah...

Yoo Dong Hee, 17

Taehyung: Where? Whe—where?

I didn't mind the boy who was looking confused and went straight to my brother. I couldn't believe I had almost lost him.

Taehyung: That's the brother we've been looking for? I thought we were looking for a 5-year-old—

He must have noticed already because he paused. My brother was special, I was only older by 2 years but he was not like any other children.

〰️

Dong Hee was sleeping as we rode the bus going home. Taehyung-ssi, whose name I never asked but he did tell me anyway, insisted to accompany us.

Taehyung: Sometimes, white lies are necessary you know.

He broke the silence between us. I looked at him trying to decipher what he just said. Who needed to lie?