Chapter Thirteen

Savannah POV 

After my mom gave my dad and Damien a piece of her mind, they seemed to be quiet as they entered the room back.

"Did the person who hit me get hurt?" I asked them because I couldn't recall. My father's face had changed, and I could tell he was angry as he wrapped his other arm around my mom, tucking her close to his chest.

"We don't know who it was," Dad says quietly, and I study his sudden unease as the atmosphere in the room thickens with tension and anger.

"Wait, they didn't stop?" It's not like they didn't realize they were hitting me. I may be small, but I'm sure they felt the impact of their car colliding with me.

"The police are looking into it," Damien says, his tone indicating that he does not want to talk about it any longer. Probably because he would lose it. I could tell from his tone.

"Do they have any idea who it was?" I whisper, feeling sick to my stomach. What kind of person runs over someone and then drives away?

"Let's not talk about that right now," Mom says, taking a step away from my father and coming over to push down the rail on the side of the bed. "Let's just concentrate on getting you better." My mother smiles, but it's clearly forced.

"Why don't you go change in the bathroom? Damien brought you some new clothes because yours were damaged in the accident." My mother informed me of this.

"I'll help you change," Damien mumbles, picking me up off the bed as my mother hovers nearby.

Damien's jaw tightens as Mom says, "I can help her.".

"I've got her," he says quietly, and I place my hand against his tense jaw as he carries me across the room to the bathroom, where he closes the door before my mother can follow us in. He helps me to my feet and then searches my eyes with his hands on my waist. ""Are you sure you're ready to return home?" He asks me again.

“Yes Damien! I can't stay here another minute.”

“You promise to let me know if you're not feeling well and we'll return to the hospital?"

I fight the urge to scoff at his overprotectiveness and mumble, "I swear," as I slip the hospital gown off my shoulders and let it fall to the floor at my feet.

"Take a look in the mirror." His fingers caress my road-rash-covered shoulder, then my black and blue-covered hip and thigh.

"I'm fine," I assure him, noticing the concern in his eyes as they examine me from head to toe.

"You're not okay, so stop acting like you are," he growls, looking into my eyes and gently palming my cheek. "You were struck by a car and knocked unconscious. When we arrived at the hospital, they thought you'd need surgery due to the blow to the head. No fucking part of that says you're okay."

""Please take it easy," I beg, ignoring his fearful expression. "Dr. Gilmore said I'm okay, and she's right. I'm sore, but I'm fine, and if that changes, I swear I'll tell you and let you bring me back here."

If something happened to you..." He closes his eyes briefly before reopening them. "I have no idea how I would live without you."

"What are you withholding from me?" I questioned him, knowing deep down that he was hiding something from me. His anxiety is palpable.

“Nothing.” He shakes his head and turns away from me before I can ask him any further questions.

My mother approaches us as soon as we exit the bathroom, holding a few papers in her hand and handing them to me. "Those were delivered by Dr. Gilmore. She said you should return in a few days to have your stitches and wound checked to ensure they are healing properly and are not infected."

"All right," I say, and her face softens as I yawn.

"How's your headache?"

"Not as bad as it could have been." I slump my head against Damien's shoulder, exhausted. "I'm just exhausted."

"Let Damien take you home," Dad mumbles as he takes my mother's hand in his. "We'll come over tomorrow to see how you're doing."

"Sure, but we're staying at Damien's house, so you could stay with us instead of a hotel." When I tell them, their eyes widen. Damien wasn't thrilled with my offer, but he didn't want to disappoint me either.