63 | himmat

❝Tum Jisko Dastyab Ho Lazim Hai Uspe Ke
Har Roz Apne Bakht Ka Sadqa Diya Kare 

The warm glow of the sun filtered through the tall windows wrapping them in a comfortable cocoon. The dynamics between them shifted for the one last time since his confession. It was like arriving home after a long, exhausting journey. To be able to finally feel that sense of relief. Her fear was still there. That was something Laila had to come to terms with that this man was going to risk everything in his life when it came to her. She couldn't hold that against him. How do you punish someone for loving you beyond words, beyond limits, and beyond the way love was defined. The only thing she could do in return was to hold him close, to make sure her Shehryar Ali was always there. That it never came to the point again where either of them had to risk anything for the other.

Yet, she didn't know what kind of humans it made them that they both knew the calm before the storm. They picked up the signs of it, they knew the utter silence before the roar of the ocean. Yet, they couldn't understand the eerie silence of the storm. Should they be happy that Shehryar's actions didn't cost much damage or should they wait for the other shoe to drop. It was the most heartbreaking thing ever to witness for her. Both had spent their lives fighting for everything and sometimes even fighting everything. So now that when things were in their favor, it seemed too easy, too surreal. Too unreal to be this easy for them.

"Are they going to let you sit during the final discussion?" She leaned on the kitchen counter, pulling the sleeves all the way to her palm. Her words stopped him as he was about to go up the stairs to change. She was yet to go back but he had been able to go back even when the media was after him like vultures. Behram Shah strictly forbade everyone from giving out any kind of statement. Everything or anything could be detrimental to their case.

"Yeah," For some reason that brought calm to her nerves. He wasn't finished yet though as he stared back at her with concerned eyes. "But I withdrew from it." Her heart dropped as it crushed her hope. "I'm going to change." He whispered and she nodded, and the utter silence took his place.

His word for her would've mattered. In fact, it would've been the only word the company needed. He knew her work ethics, her honesty towards the company, and her passion for the hospital. Why? She stared at the empty staircase. Now, her fate was in other people's hands. What if they ruled her out of the company regardless of the truth that came to surface? This one final meeting was going to decide whether she could work again or not. The world wasn't a fair place, and she wasn't expecting anything from anyone except from the one who withdrew. Maybe this was the second shoe.

Her movements had gotten quieter, almost robotic as she put the food on the plates. Looking at the plate, she grimaced at the thought of eating. His footsteps followed down the stairs to the kitchen, but she continued to fuss with the food she was plating.

"Smells delicious." He took a seat on the other side of the middle counter, taking the plate as he thanked her.

"Ahan," Her mind was still traveling down the spiral at his earlier words. He took a bite and savored it, but she stood there lost. She couldn't get mad at him because that's what he chose to do as the company's president. Yet, there was part of her that still romanticized the idea that it was Shehryar's company. "Are you going to eat?" He pointed to the plate that was yet to be touched. She nodded, though still pushed the food around the plate. Her throat ached with all the unintentional hurt he caused. He didn't doubt her abilities, but she couldn't understand the reasoning behind his decision

"Laila,"

Did they already decide? Did they terminate her from the company?

"Laila,"