65 | kaamyabi

afaton ke daur meinchein ki ghari hai tu❞

That winter whispered through their life without any more tragedies. Spring painted the town in vibrant colors including the color of satisfaction. The sunrise orange that spread satisfaction through his veins. Saeed was indicted for human trafficking, kidnapping, organ trafficking, and child exploitation. Guilty on all counts. Behram Shah had not left any reason or way for him to ever see the daylight again. Both Laila and Shehryar finally could let go of the threads they were holding on to. Yet the past few years didn't leave them behind unscathed.

In the depths of their souls, Laila and Shehryar still carried their pasts but with more ease because they had each other with all their scars on display. Life's kaleidoscope had shifted for them. Together their relation was sewn with healings, understanding, and so much love that the sun and moon were envious.

Yet, their priorities transformed like delicate petals unfurling under the caress of a gentle breeze. Once consumed by projects, contracts, and files, the two recovering workaholics now made promises to each other to leave their work behind in the Wajdan enterprise building. Their home was where they healed their wounded spirits.

Yet, at times the memories of their pasts lingered like ethereal phantoms, haunting them. Laila, when the ghosts of her past breathed life into her nightmares, found solace in the arms of Shehryar Ali. And Shehryar, when darkness threatened to consume him whole, discovered his salvation in the form of his Rapunzel. As the wind carried the essence of time gently with itself, Laila and Shehryar were now stepping into the third year of their marriage.

Laila rimmed the cup of now cold chai as she waited for Inaaya in the cafe across from the hospital. She didn't know which way her heart wanted the coin to flip. The impending results loomed on her, fogging her mind regarding what exactly she wanted. There was a tinge of fear, yet it was laced with a sliver of excitement.

With a blank face Inaaya took her seat across from her, cutting through the fog that surrounded Laila. There wasn't any amusement in her friend's eyes. Silence hung between them even with the evening commotion in the cafe. Laila's fingers curled around her wedding ring and Inaaya's face softened as she put the envelope in front of her.

"It's a negative."

Laila took a long breath of relief yet her eyes burned with tears and just a faded bolt of pain throbbed in her heart. The hope that hid somewhere deep in her heart wilted.

"I knew it was going to be negative. The hospital reopening is stressing my body. I just wanted to be sure." Laila uttered softly. She didn't know whether she was explaining to Inaaya or making excuses for herself. When she looked up from the cold cup of tea into Inaaya's eyes. Inaaya's eyes mirrored her vulnerabilities.

"What if it wasn't negative?" Inaaya as always rattled her with her questions, leading her to more clarity.

"The pill has a 91% effectiveness rate. Come on," Laila whispered, her gaze drifting away from Inaaya towards the bustling street outside the café window. The world seemed to be preparing for the change of seasons as summer bid its farewell, and the heat slowly retreated. Laila sighed, her thoughts consumed by the weight of the past year and a half. "I think the anxiety from that hospital incident is still lingering as the opening is getting closer," she admitted.

"What if you were part of the other 9%?" Inaaya's voice remained steady, challenging her.

"Inaaya," Laila pleaded, fear gripping her as she tried to evade the truth in her heart.