31 | alvida

Hum se ye soch ker koi wada karo
Ek waday pe umeren guzar jain gi

"Nahi yaar, color nahi suit kar raha." Inaaya stood between the wedding dresses as if surrounded by a storm of shooting stars. The beads and zari glittered under the fluorescent light. Inaaya frowned, shaking her head as the cut of the thousandth lehenga didn't satisfy her either. Laila closed her eyes trying to summon the patience of a monk from heaven because she was a thread away from calling Zain to create some gossip. A gossip of such caliber that it could break away the wedding because of how big of a bridezilla Inaaya had become while Laila was at the receiving end of the wrath. Next time she prayed, she'd be asking God for a refund on this friendship.

"INAAYA HARAMI AAMIR!" Grinding her teeth, Laila went for her slipper but instead threw the bag of corn-nuts on her best friend's head. "This is the fifteenth lehenga you tried. Ek pick karlo warna mein Zain ko call karke tumhare boyfriends ki list de doon gi." Laila heaved a forceful sigh through her clenched teeth.

"Haww. Tuna bari kutti hai. Moun pe lag jaati to. Meri shaadi hone wali hai. Is haseen chehre pe daagh lag jaata to?" Inaaya forgot all about the dress, instead, she opened the bag and started to munch on it. Laila clenched her fists to stop herself from clawing Inaaya's face.

"Shadi na hui bhai duniya ka 8th ajooba ban gaya." She huffed. Ya Allah please grant me a few more ounces of patience.

"Ek he to meri shaadi ho rahi hai. Ab mein us mein bhi kya koi avien lehenga pehnoun. Aur haan mein keh rahi hoon agar woh mujhe wedding dress mein dekh ke roya nahi na woh youtube videos ki tarhan to meine shaadi wahan rokni hai aur tor deni hai." Inaaya went back to trying the dresses, this time holding the duppatta.

"Tumhari shaadi ho rahi hai koi movie nahi ban rahi. Itna drama to koi TV per na kare." At this rate, the world might end before Inaaya said 'I do.' Laila prayed for the safety of Zain.

"Yeah, yeah. You are the one to talk." Inaaya tilted her head, throwing her a smug smile as she wiggled her eyebrows. Yup, Laila definitely wanted a refund on this friendship. "Dil kahin hai aur dimagh kahin aur hai. Khud melodramatic heroine bani hui ho, you hoe. Pick one and go do the nasty." Allah Tauba. Laila shook her head, touching her ear lobes, asking for forgiveness. Inaaya stayed nonchalant in Barbie-Dulhan Edition world as she held up the crimson dress. "So what did he say at dinner?" Inaaya glanced at her in the mirror as she inspected the intricate beading and embellishments on the dress. Laila's eyes welled up for a second imagining Inaaya as the bride. Oh how beautiful she'd look.

"He said he wanted to propose officially." Laila bit her tongue. The dupatta fell from Inaaya's hand on the floor just like her jaw hung open as she stood there like a statue. "Harami 9 lac ka dress hai. Utha iss ko. Mein nahi de rahi apni kidney iske badle." Laila peeked around as the dupatta still lay in her feet. Inaaya recovered from the shock, picking up the dupatta, she threw it on the rack.

"Tu aese kaise itna bara bomb gira sakti hai. Matlab seedha shaadi and all, no dating." Inaaya blinked, trying to come to terms with it, forgetting all about her bridezilla mood. "Tune kya bola?"

"Kuch nahi. Waqt maanga." Laila stole her gaze away, busying herself by fixing the strap of her bag.

"Kyunnnnn? Waqt ka achar daalna hai kya?" Inaaya questioned her, but Laila didn't answer, instead, she kept her lips pursed. Leaving the strap of the bag, Laila tried to fold the heavily embellished duppatta neatly. "bina last name aur bina majnun ki Laila, uper dekh zara." She fidgeted with the material. Once she looked up, the emotions that were lingering thoughts would become a piece of truth. "Lily?" Inaaya sat next to her on the soft sofa, the bridal fitting room gave them ample amount of privacy. "Oye Harami! Uper dekh."