40 | mehr

كن لي غريبا فالأحبة يرحلون دائما ❝ Be a stranger to me, because lovers always leave

Be a stranger to me, because lovers always leave.

— tumblr

The silence in the car ride stretched as sorry got lost somewhere in that clash of egos. It stretched between them over the course of days leading to their walima. Between the barriers of hesitations and egos that ran taller than mountains, they hardly made eye contact, let alone share a conversation.

The beaded champagne color dupatta weighed on her head like the burden of the conversation she had with Malka. The soft glow of makeup covered the guilt etched on her face. Even though her guilt and her words rolled against the blades of her shoulders, becoming heavier with each passing day, she still couldn't find it in her to forgive people around her. Like a metal case of the bullet, it stayed lodged in her body, refraining her from thinking about anything but the pain she was put through.

Her colored lips tightened in a smile that was far too artificial, Inaaya narrowed her eyes at her from the front of the stage. Laila rolled her eyes, shaking her head. The woman was on her case like a damn police officer, not leaving a moment to throw a disdained look at her. On the other hand, He had disappeared somewhere in the crowd to entertain the bewildered looks of his relatives who were first shocked at his return and then at the fact that he got married. Again. For a second, that word stung.

"What did you do?" Inaaya plopped herself next to her as the numerous sets of eyes wandered back and forth between the stage and the gossip sessions.

"What do you mean what did I do?" Laila sent a displeased and offended look in her friend's way.

"I see that guilty look. The one that says Mein koi haramipan kar ke aayi hoon." Inaaya didn't bother to look her way as she fixed those dark curls for the photo session, along with the heavily coral pink dupatta. Laila touched her face subconsciously at her best friend's words. Stop it, Laila. This harami is messing with you. Laila took a deep calming breath and disregarded her friend's presence. "Did you say some egoistic stupid shit?"

"You think I have an ego problem?" Laila hissed the words through her mock smile. Inaaya arched that perfect right eyebrow. Laila clamped her mouth shut before answering her. "Why do you think I did something? An argument normally includes two people—"

"You are not normal," Inaaya whispered as she leaned closer to Laila, pouting for the camera as if nothing happened. Laila's mouth fell open at her. "Moun band kar, pehle he shakal khaufnaak hai uper se aesay to meri photo na kharab kar, bhootni ke."

"Dafa ho yahan se, Kutti." If Inaaya wasn't pregnant, Laila would have pushed her off the stage in front of all these people.

"Sorry is not that bad of a word, Lily. Give words to your emotions, tell him what's inside you, otherwise, this relationship of yours will do nothing, but suffocate you." Inaaya genuinely smiled at her as she fixed the silver teeka on Laila's forehead. "Now, I gotta go do the important work I'm here for." Within the next second, Inaaya pulled the serious face.