39 | rishte

This breathtaking edit is by JaayyWrites | MA 🤩 as beautiful as her writing

─────  ❧ ─────

ab aap saamne hai to kuch bhi nahi yaad
warna kuch aap se kehna zaroor tha

The luminous, end of the summer sun peeked through the tall windows of the living room during the brunch. The sunkissed laughter echoed through the living room that hadn't witnessed this kind of warmth before just like Laila. Hadiya tipped her head back laughing at something Ali Si- her brother had said. The looks of affection this family shared, the laughter of love, and a feeling of home they all belonged to. The nauseous wave of intrusion washed over Laila, making her queasy.

Even as she sat with her hands around the utensit right next to him, across from Hadiya, she couldn't grasp the feeling of home. Your circumstances forced you into this family. That's all she could hear over that laughter, the warmth, and the efforts they put to make her feel home. She merely nodded, in utter gratitude as they included her in every laughter, conversation, but didn't force the conversation out of her. They let her flow with the nods and small smiles.

No she wasn't rude or mad, it was rather the feeling of intrusion that stunted her. As though she was intruding  his family, their privacy, their time. That no matter how much they welcomed her with open arms, sunlit smiles, happy eyes, the reatiy would taste sour in her mouth. That they got married under mourful circumstances. She was forced into his life with pity and sadness, painted on his canvas with unwanted colors. She was a color he abandoned two years ago.

"Laila-"

"A brunch party without me?" Inaaya's voice chirped through the living foyer, Laila took a thankful breath. The attention gone from her and unto her beautiful friend. "Amma dusri bahu mil gayi to aap mujhe bhool gayi aur party badal di. This is not fair." Inaaya walked in with a mock frown, teasing her mother-in-law.

"Aap ko kon bhool sakta hai. Aap to hamare ghar ki jaan ho." Their mother-in-law smiled at Inaaya as she bent down slightly to hug her, and greeted her father-in-law.

"So what's the gossip? Spill it?" Inaaya took the seat next to Laila. Zain trailed behind in the hallway with a bag that belonged to Laila. She could finally breathe in calm.

"Sherry Bhaiyya ka Walima." Hadiya munched on the fruit as she updated Inaaya. Laila's glanced to her side, tilting her head. His eyes were already on her, anticipating her answer for a while. She took the quiet way again, staying mum on the topic, yet his eyes didn't waver from her. Laila straightened in her seat, turning towards Inaaya.