three

March stood as cold as ice, but it had its moments of warmth in the midst of it all

March stood as cold as ice, but it had its moments of warmth in the midst of it all. It was a confusing month, much like Choi Chanhee.

If there was one of Changmin's friends that Jinae dreaded to be introduced to, it was him.

For years all the girl could remember was being challenged by him academically.

She felt a strange envy for the boy who seemed to be so near perfect at everything, as well as looking perfect whilst he did it. "Partner up, kids. Or I'll do it for you."

Jinae kept her head down for as long as she could, but it seemed someone had plans for her. "Let's work together."

"Huh?" She hummed, looking up to see Chanhee. "Why?"

"Because we'll make a great team," he rolled his eyes sarcastically, sitting down beside her as he moved her notepad to her side of the desk. "Because I can't trust anyone else when it comes to partner or group work. You're the only person in this class who'll actually get it done and do it properly."

Jinae didn't fight it, he was right. And likewise to him, she knew that she could rely on him. "Okay, deal."

"But we're still not friends," he notes.

To which the girl chuckles, shaking her head. "I didn't want to be."

Jinae and Chanhee sat awkwardly beside one another in class again. For the last two weeks they had completed their work at home, forwarding emails and talking simply over text. Even at the cafeteria, they still didn't talk.

"... with the highest mark going to Choi Chanhee and Yoon Jinae."

The two looked at each other, not a shred of disbelief on their faces for they knew they would do it. "Well done."

"And to you," Jinae nodded, the two shifting in their seats as the teacher continued.

"Well done you two clever cookies," Changmin gushed, pulling Chanhee's cheek before he ruffled Jinae's hair. "What a team you make."

"Thanks," she mumbled, looking back to her book.

The table began talking again, although the girl couldn't focus on much else at the minute. Her book was distracting her from the fact the only boy she had ever loved had left for China.

It had only been a few weeks now, but she felt as though she would never recover.

The laughter from the boys beside her, for once, began to irritate her. Her ears would begin to ring, her head buzzing from the sound.

It was easier to listen to when she could hear his contagious laugh, or look up to see him smiling at her.

Excusing herself, Jinae left the table in somewhat of a hurry. Her feet carried her through the school building, landing her in the place she least desired to be.

The empty literature classroom where he first held her hand, where she first felt love.

With a sigh, she found herself sitting down nonetheless. She pulled out her book again, for the front page simply to remind her of their mutual love for Hemingway. "Why did you go, Hak?"

"You're only making it worse for yourself."

Jinae glanced up to see the familiar slender figure standing by the doorway. "What are you doing here?"

"Followed you," Chanhee spoke bluntly, almost bubbling a laugh in the girls throat. "We all miss him, you know."

"Yeah," she shrugged. "I miss him differently, I guess."

"Of course you do," he nodded, sitting down a table away from her. "It's only natural. He was a great guy, and good to you. You likewise to him, you made him happy."

Jinae stayed silent for a few seconds, not quite processing that she was having a conversation with Chanhee and that he was actually being decent.

She was so used to his sassy remarks and his blank expression that something about him sitting across from her seeming so vulnerable was refreshing. "Do you think he'll come back?"

"Definitely," he nodded, a faint smile on his lips. "I know he will. So, hang in there."

"I can't wait forever for him," Jinae mumbled.

Chanhee chuckled, nodding. "I know you can't, and he wouldn't expect you to. But he's got many reasons to come back, I'm sure you're one of them."

The pair stayed silent, the girl furrowing her eyebrows in confusion every few seconds as she wondered why this was even occurring. "I-"

"Let's be friends," the boy stated simply. He was back to his blunt self.

"Why?" Jinae wondered, the boy groaning before letting out a loud laugh.

"You're impossible, it worked fine when Changmin said it!" He chuckled, the two laughing together. "Because I'm feeling optimistic. You're cool."

Jinae nodded. This was the first time anyone had called her 'cool'. "You're alright yourself."

The two stood up, gathering their things as the clock struck one o'clock. The boy glanced over his shoulder.

"And who knows, maybe we'll have more partner projects. It's only March, after all."