twenty five

Jinae chewed her bottom lip nervously as she watched her brother walk past her without saying a word.

She wondered what exactly happened between him and Sunwoo after that morning, but she had been wondering that for weeks now. She'd never know for as long as Sanha gave her the silent treatment and Sunwoo didn't come around.

It was strange without him, but she thought maybe things would be better this way.

"Whatever happened with you two, you better sort it out," her mother commented, the girl rolling her eyes.

It was now May and exams were coming to an end - she supposed that was a good distraction.

Since that night, all Jinae felt was confusion. She remembered everything even when Sunwoo claimed she was drunk.

Alcohol coursed her veins, sure, but something else did that night and she couldn't quite place a finger on it.

Maybe it was years of pent up attraction to the boy with golden skin and charm that no boy she had ever crossed before had possessed that caused her to so carelessly kiss him in the security of her bed.

She lay awake every night wondering how things would have been if they hadn't been caught or if they hadn't been drunk.

"I'm off to work," Jinae eventually spoke up, ignoring her brother who sat lonely on the couch.

Her heart ached at the sight. She had driven them apart. But how else could it be sorted if Sanha was just as stubborn as her?

Barely sparing her a glance, Sanha scoffed as he heard the front door close.

"So, it's going well?" Jacob smiled over his shoulder at the girl who tugged her brush through the puppy's already thick coat.

"Oh, yeah," Jinae grinned. "I thought I'd grow to hate doing it with exams going on, but I found a balance."

The boy enjoyed seeing her this happy again, and also thriving at something he suggested she should do made him a little prideful. But he wouldn't admit that.

"So being a vet is on the cards?" He pondered.

The girl stalled for a moment before a smile spread over her face. "I really think so."

"Good," Jacob nodded. "I clearly have an eye for these things."

Rolling her eyes, the girl chuckled. "Yeah, yeah. Jacob Bae, taking all the credit-"

"Hello," the boy interrupted, causing Jinae to glance over at him to see he was in fact greeting someone by the customer door. "How may we help?"

Jinae paused upon seeing the boy by the door, a dog attached to the leash he was holding.

"Hi, I'm Kevin," he started, his eyes floating to the girl with a somewhat anxious look. "I signed up my dog Mylo for the daycare a few weeks ago."

"Oh, Mylo!" Jacob gushed, the dog cautiously approaching him before opening up to the idea of being petted. "I remember going through your application, yes. Let me get the paperwork for you to sign and we can get him slotted in for today."

Silence overcame the room as Jinae attended to the nearest dog at her feet. "These are for you."

Glancing over, she wondered how the boy managed to hide a bouquet of flowers from plain sight. "Huh?"

"To say sorry, I-" Kevin started, feeling more nervous when she barely moved from her position. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."

Standing up, the girl looked at the beautiful Gladiolus flowers bunched together with a string of red ribbon. The flowers of August, she noted.