twenty one

Jinae stared at her mother upon the couch.

It was rare to see her actually at home never mind in the state she was currently in. She hadn't gotten changed for the day, her hair a mess and her face puffy.

It had been a week since the incident, and Jinae knew something was off when the Lee's didn't show up today. "Are you really going to stay there the whole night?"

"Yes, Jinae," her mother grumbled, opening one eye. "If that isn't such an inconvenience to you."

"I'm going to work so it isn't," she shrugged. "Forgive me for being worried about you."

The elder woman sighed, followed by a dry laugh as she mumbled to herself in hopes her daughter maybe wouldn't hear. "Considering this is half your fault..."

"What was that?" The girl called from the doorway, her mother shooing her off with a wave of the hand.

Truthfully, Jinae had guessed that maybe this was a little her fault.

But then again, her mother was persistent that there was nothing between her and Mr Lee - so what was she to believe?

It was hard to go against the word of the woman who gave birth to her, but it was equally as hard to go against her own heart.

And that's what she followed that night.

She found herself missing him. It was like every other silly crush and every other boy didn't matter at all. They didn't exist in her little bubble that she found herself in right now.

Even Eric could see that as she wandered the isles helplessly, her eyes focussed on anything else but the books she usually so desperately would want to fix. "Everything okay?"

"Huh?" She glanced over at the blonde boy who stood by the studio doorway.

"You seem lost," Eric chuckled. "You alright?"

"Yes," Jinae nodded although he wasn't convinced. She could see that on his face, she knew his expressions too well by now. "Are you?"

"Don't turn this on me," he tutted, leaning against the frame. Jinae was relieved to now see somewhat of a smile from him. "I'm all good, if you were really concerned and not just trying to deflect from the fact you're obviously not okay."

"Trust me," she chuckled. "I'll be fine."

He hoped that would be true. It was hard to see her face so gloom like this, but the lingering light laughter from her throat and the small smile on her face was enough to make the boy give up on his quest, and accept her answer.

"Well, after work we could grab food somewhere?" Eric suggested.

Little did the girl know that his heart pounded harshly in his chest as he mustered up the courage to say those words.

"I'd like that," she said so casually as though it meant nothing to her. "Let's do it."

Jinae didn't realise just how much she needed this.

As she sat across from Eric in this dim lit restaurant as the sun had now fully set, the two of them laughing so much that they had struggled to take more than three bites each - she noticed she hadn't once worried or thought about anything other than the boy across from her.

His laugh was contagious. "Enough! My tummy hurts and we've spent all this money in on food."

The girl clutched at her stomach as their laughter died down, the boy nodding in agreement. "You're right. I'll try not to be so funny."