six

June was when Sanha would return home, and that only meant the return of Kim Sunwoo

"Can't you get friends your own age?" Jinae groaned as her big brother turned off the television in front of her. "And can't you get your own television? Your room is like three times the size of mine."

Sanha babbled behind her, following her into the kitchen. "What do you have against him?"

"I don't have anything against him," she complained. "I just don't have anything for him."

"Get over your stupid little crush on him," the tall boy mocked, shielding his face as his sister launched towards him, chasing him around the kitchen island. "Don't even deny it! It's been that way since we were this height."

"I do not and did not have a crush on Kim Sunwoo," Jinae couldn't think of anything worse. "And I will never!"

The two smack each other before the doorbell rings, causing them to go silent. "Why don't you welcome our guest?"

"Why don't you go die?" Jinae forced a smile, her brother smirking before he opened the door.

It was then Jinae's eyes widened. Summer usually meant Sunwoo came around, but he had grown so much in the last year that he almost wasn't recognisable. "Pick your jaw off the ground, freak."

"I will kill you-"

"Nice to see you too, Jinae," Sunwoo chuckled as she glared at her brother. "Good to see you both get on as great as usual."

"He's the bane of my existence," the girl scoffed, pouring herself a drink as she watched the two get comfortable on the couch.

Sanha looked over his shoulder, sticking his tongue out before defending his face from the wrath of his sister growing more aggressive. "You better get used to it."

"Huh?" She stopped, avoiding Sunwoo's eyes as he turned around to look too.

"I'm back for good now," he chuckled, his best friend beside him patting his back as his sisters face fell in annoyance. "So you'll be sick of the sight of both of us."

"Great," Jinae flashed a sarcastic smile, one that dropped when Sunwoo looked her way again. "Have fun."

What Jinae wasn't prepared for was Sunwoo around every day of June. Part of her wanted to shake him and remind him that Sanha wasn't going anywhere, their time wasn't limited anymore.

With her mother working most of the time, it was always the three of them in the house. "If you have him over then I'm inviting a friend over."

"A friend? Pfft," Sanha chuckled. "I'll make the jokes."

Ignoring him, Jinae called Changmin. "Wanna hang?"

"I'm working," she could almost hear his pout through the phone. "I don't get off until 11 tonight or I'd say hang in there."

"Sleepover, then? I can come to the store for you finishing," Jinae suggested, truthfully missing her best friend over the summer.

"That isn't safe so no," Changmin chuckled. "I'll come straight after work."

The two hang up, leaving the girl alone with her thoughts as she danced around the kitchen contemplating what to eat. All she could hear was the excited screams and occasional complaints about some stupid game the pair were playing.

She paid it no mind and got to cooking, ignoring the familiar urge to glance over at Sunwoo.

"I'm going out-"

"He's asleep," Sunwoo chuckled, a finger to his lips as though he was hushing the girl. "Where are you going?"

The girl glanced at her brother passed out cold on the couch, a remote controller in his hand but with a blanket placed over him. Sunwoo was nice, sometimes.

"Just to meet Changmin," Jinae nodded, putting on her shoes. "He's staying here tonight."

"Ah, I remember him," he sounded somewhat surprised they were still friends. "It's dark, here - let me walk with you."

Instantly shaking her head, the girl protested but it didn't work. His shoes were on from the moment he decided he would go with her.

And when she realised it was too late, she found herself walking the dimly lit streets with Kim Sunwoo.

She glanced over at the boy, snuggled up in his hoodie with his hands in his pockets. Oh, how her younger self would be beaming right now. "He's staying so you can visit whenever."

Sunwoo scoffed, laughing right afterwards. "Why do you hate me?"

"I don't hate you," Jinae denied, shaking her head feeling somewhat guilty if that's how he really felt. "I wouldn't waste my energy. You're just here every day."

"It would be easier to deal with me if you didn't hate me," he pointed out with that stupid smile on his face.

If there was one thing about him that hadn't changed, it was his slight arrogance accompanied by that knowing smirk. Jinae wished it made her physically recoil, but she remembered that her ten year old self found it somewhat endearing. It wasn't a crush, though.

"It would be easier if you just weren't here all the time," she argued, the two stopping on the empty street that was only accompanied by the store Changmin worked in. "You can go now-"

"If you don't hate me, then why does my presence bother you so much?" The dark haired boy challenged, the two standing only a metre apart.

With a step back, the girl blinked harshly. "If it bothered me that much I would have closed the door in your face before we got here."

With that cocky grin upon his face, the boy gave a slight nod.

Hearing the door of the store open and Changmin's confused voice call on her, he bowed to the girl as she just stared blankly, before turning to walk away. "We'll see."