eleven

November meant the holidays were approaching soon, and it was undoubtedly Jinae's least favourite time of year

November meant the holidays were approaching soon, and it was undoubtedly Jinae's least favourite time of year. Lee Juyeon, however, sought to be a distraction that made it a little more bearable.

She remembered the day he walked into the store, his hand scratching his head as though he was animated.

Jinae watched him as he wandered aimlessly, mumbling to himself.

She knew what it was like to be in that position, so clueless and unsure, and she knew that she would prefer if someone didn't bother her in that instance.

But this was her job. And as he caught her eye awkwardly a couple times, she couldn't hold it in anymore. "Is there anything I can help you with?"

Relief washed over his face, his lanky body de-stressing as soon as he heard those words.

"There absolutely is," he flashed his smile for the first time. Handsome, she'd admit. "I'm looking for a gift for someone, but I have no clue where to start. She likes books, she likes records."

"Well, at least you've came to the right place," Jinae joked. "Which genre does she like?"

"I once seen her read Lady Chatterley's Lover," the boy spoke as the girls eyes widened. "Bad book?"

"Controversial book," Jinae chuckled, her eyes wandering to the romance section. "So, she likes romance."

The boy looked up at the label, a lost expression on his face. "Then why are we in the Erotic section?"

Jinae chuckled to herself as she watched the two boys in the studio. She knew Eric's patience might have been wearing thin with the clueless boy, but she had her turn with him - it was his now.

"Do you actually know this girl?" She heard him ask as she searched through the books.

"Kinda," the boy replied, Eric groaning followed by laughter from the two of them. "I'll get to know her, alright? Hopefully."

"Juyeon, man," Eric chuckled, shaking his head. "Do I know her?"

Silence overcame them for a moment, Jinae still listening in nonetheless. "Sunyoung! She's in your year."

"Ah," the blonde hummed, followed by more silence. "Then she'd like this."

The girl looked over her shoulder, the two conversing quietly about the record Eric held in his hand. Jinae didn't recognise the cover, but she did start to ponder how Eric would have known what this girl liked.

She realised a while ago that the two knew of one another, they shared the same school - but what was the deal with this Sunyoung?

Seeing the two emerge from the room, she pretended to be busy again. "We've done it, Jinae."

"Huh?" She hummed, turning to look at the blonde and the satisfied tall boy beside him.

"The perfect record," his smile showed how chuffed he was, and that made Jinae smile. "Have you found the book?"

With a nod, she smiled, handing the book to the boy who had no trouble holding the two. His hands were very large, she noted. "I think she'll like this."

With a bow, the girl walked towards the cash register in absence of Jiheon.

She watched as the two continued to talk, a grin on both their faces. She was happy that work presented her with a challenge today, it kept her mind working.

"So, how about you?" Juyeon asked the confused looking boy.

"What about me?" He chuckled.

"Are you not gifting anyone records or books?" The boy quizzes, not long before his eyes drift over to the girl by the till. "Or does she find that boring, since she works here and all?"

"What are you saying?" Eric jokingly slaps the boys chest, shaking his head.

His laughter dies down when he catches Jinae's eye, confusing thoughts in his head. "Just saying, man. There's something there."

The blonde simply looks away, nodding before patting the boy on the back. "Good luck, and I'll see you at school."

Jinae straightens up as the boy approaches her, a big grin still on his face that only causes her to smile too. "Happy with everything?"

"I am," he nods, handing over the cash. "I just hope she is."

"Well, you're very thoughtful," the girl smiles warmly. "I'm sure she'll absolutely love it."

"Thanks again," Juyeon smiles. "I didn't get your name."

"Oh, Jinae."

After his departure, the girl was sure she wouldn't see him again. Not that she was longing to see him, just a memory of work is bound to stick in your mind like that.

"It didn't work," the voice of a boy startles her from her daydream. "I'm not sure why."

"Was it the record or the book?" Jinae quizzed, looking up to see Juyeon again.

"Maybe it's just me," he spoke in a panic, his face evidently distraught. It had been a couple weeks since he was last here, and the girl was sure that everything must have worked out in his favour. "I don't know."

Jinae looked over to see Eric in the studio, his head rested against the wall with his eyes closed.

Walking over, she chapped the door. "Sorry to interrupt your break, but we have a damsel in distress."

"Hey!" Juyeon pouted, looking over at the boy. "Please help, you two are all I have."

Jinae and Eric chuckle looking at one another, before the boy chirps up. "We do make a good team, you're right."

"Right," the girl nods, tearing her eyes from her to look amusedly at the tall boy behind her. "You're keeping us on our toes, you know."