nineteen

"Hyunjae?" Jinae asked again, looking at the boy in confusion.

"It doesn't ring a bell," Changmin shook his head, the girl groaning. "Remind me again what happened?"

"The stupid work event my mother dragged me to, the night I sneaked out with this guy, Hyunjae-"

"The kiss in the snow!" Chanhee intervened, the girl nodding and smiling.

"Ah!" It was as though a lightbulb lit up above Changmin's head. "The one who rejected you the next time you asked him to do it?"

If looks could kill, Jinae's best friend would be six feet under from her glaring eyes.

But he was right. That's exactly what happened.

She tried her best to ignore their last encounter throughout the night, but it was difficult when everyone gushed over the snow landing outside in late March.

She, for one, was concerned about the warming of the planet they graced since this time of year didn't see much weather like that.

But what only concerned her more is that her mind flooded with thoughts of that night.

How the snow landed on her eyelashes, the cold droplets reaching their lips as she shivered against him, laughing as he held her closer.

When the boy excused himself to go to the bathroom, something told her that he was thinking about that too.

"Maybe if he gets invited over for dinner again," Changmin started. "Just ask him again 'Hey, wanna get out of here?' And see what happens."

"And get rejected again?" Jinae mocked his tone.

"Third time lucky, I guess."

Jinae dragged her feet along the pavement as her brother trailed behind her. "What do you think is going on with them?"

"Huh?" The girl was evidently daydreaming.

Sanha jogged to be beside her, his eyes curious yet slightly blinded by the March sun. "Eomma and Mr Lee, you idiot."

"I don't know," Jinae shrugged.

Truthfully, that's all she had been wondering. She found herself feeling silly for assuming that there had to be some sort of relationship between the two. She knew fine well girls and boys could just be friends.

"I mean, he looks well for his age," her brother commented. "And he's kind, too."

Jinae couldn't even find it in herself to nod in agreement even though she wholeheartedly agreed.

The thought of Mr Lee meant the thought of Hyunjae. "Oh, look - his car."

Colour drained from the younger's face as she eyed the SUV sitting in the driveway beside their mothers car.

"This must be a Friday thing then..." Sanha shrugged, a spring in his step as he reached the front door.

It was now Jinae's turn to trail behind him, part of her not actually wanting to enter the house that she had longed to see for the whole day. The thought of the handsome boy sitting so politely upon the couch or sitting quietly at the dining table with a book in his hand was enough to make the girls stomach churn.

Reaching the door, she sucked in a deep breath as she fixed her hair in the reflection of the glass. Did the school air really have to make her look this awful at this exact moment?

"Pretty..." a voice behind her mumbled, startling her. "Ugly."

"Shut up!" She groaned, smacking Sunwoo on the shoulder as he chuckled.