eight

August was a strange month

August was a strange month. It was filled with days of uncertainty and differing emotions, all-in-all - strange. Much like the day she met Kevin Moon.

The only thing exciting that had happened to her thus far in the month was the opening of a new library nearby.

Jinae was the type of person who would be standing by the front doors for the grand opening, hell - she would even pay someone to allow her to cut that big ribbon and get her picture taken beside it for the newspaper.

She wondered just why her anxiety failed her at the best of times but would allow her to do the most irrational things.

"And there is a relaxation room just upstairs," the storekeeper told her as she looked on in amazement. "We also have a quiet room for strictly readers. Feel free to use."

"Thank you," Jinae smiled widely, wandering around the store with wide eyes. "Wow..."

There was such a range here, and only someone like herself would get so excited about these things.

Her legs carried her upstairs, seeing aisles upon aisles of books that she had probably never seen before. She smiled to herself even wider when she realised they were not only alphabetically organised, but they were largely colour coordinated too.

It was then she saw the relaxation room to the right of her, and the quiet room to the left.

Since she was one of the only people here, she took it upon herself to open the door gently. "Oh, sorry-"

"No, no," the boy hushed, his legs crossed in a basket before him as his eyes remained closed. "Come join."

Jinae almost grimaced at the thought, her heart rating quickening. "N-No, no. I'll be on my way."

"What are you scared of?" The boy peeked through one open eye, the two slowly opening as he saw the pretty girl stand cowered in the door way.

He almost instantly rose to his feet, and for some reason the fact he was moving made the girl feel a bit more calm.

"I'm Kevin," he spoke simply, but his voice was warm and more inviting than the last words he spoke. "Care to join me..."

The girl stayed silent for a moment. "Oh... Jinae."

"Jinae?" Kevin smiled, before sitting back down again.

She watched his every move. He sat so delicately upon that pillow, and moved so gracefully even though his actions weren't strenuous.

He wore a patterned shirt that was unbuttoned probably more than it should have been, but Jinae reminded herself that it was she who had entered his space, even if this did belong to the library. "I work here, by the way. I'm not some weirdo who took off their shoes and began to meditate in a random building."

"Oh..." the girl hummed, a chuckle escaping her lips.

Kevin watched on in endearment. Shy girls had a way to his heart, but this one was different. "You look like you need to relax."

"Every day of my life," she mumbled, earning a laugh from the boy as she looked up again. "Does it work?"

He tutted his tongue, throwing a pillow to the opposite side of him as she closed the door. "Let's find out, shall we?"

And how Jinae wished that it didn't work.

There was some sort of method to this madness, and she wished she didn't strap along for the ride. But she was in too deep now.

She found herself in that relaxation room more than she intended. "Bad day at school?"

"Yes," Jinae nodded, following the boy to the little room. "Cure me."

"I'll try," Kevin chuckled, opening the door to see a few people already inside. It was rare for this to happen, and he knew the presence of others made the girl feel anxious, but she felt comforted knowing that at least Kevin knew them. "We have company."

The girl smiled nonetheless, ignoring the other faces of people who were doing their own thing.

In their little corner, the two found themselves almost knee-to-knee as they sat. "Anything you want to talk about?"

"Not really," Jinae said truthfully, although there was much she could say.

She could tell him all about Haknyeon's travelling glances to her in every class they shared.

How he would stare at her with those same eyes and it pained her inside that he could look but never say a word to her.

Her mind ran in circles wondering if she really wanted him to talk to her. "Okay, you know the drill by now."

With a giggle, the girl squeezed her eyes shut.

She listened to the sounds of his soft voice which was barely audible to anyone else but her. He guided her through it as she inhaled and exhaled deeply.

At one point, her fidgeting hand was calmed by the presence of his own atop hers.

This caused her to open her eyes ever so slightly, watching the boy who so casually took her hand as though they did this every day. This, they did not.

It was then her eyes fluttered over his face. Sure, he was always pretty, but something about his cat-like features as he sat peacefully with his eyes closed was more beautiful than she had ever realised. And how she kicked herself for only noticing now.

"You know," he smirked even with his lids closed. "This only works if you actually close your eyes."