sixteen

Jinae stared at herself in the mirror. "Does this look silly?"

"Yeah, you look like a clown," Sanha spoke from beside her, rolling her eyes as she glared at him through the reflection. "It looks fine. Why are you so bothered?"

"I've never gone bowling before," she sighed, tearing her eyes from her purple blouse. It was rare she wore this much colour, or something that wasn't floral. "I thought I'd wear something brighter."

"It's bright for sure," her brother commented, grabbing snacks from the kitchen, zooming past.

The girl glanced over to see that familiar head of black hair upon her couch.

Since their last talk, Jinae had subconsciously avoided Sunwoo.

It was difficult when she'd pass him to go to her room whilst he was going to Sanha's, or when she'd open the bathroom door for him to be standing at the other side of it.

He sensed it, but he didn't want to push her to talk to him. He said his piece, he would leave it be.

"I'm away now," she announced, the two turning to look at her.

Sunwoo did note that she looked more colourful than usual. Her prints and earth tones swapped out for plain purple and jeans.

But nonetheless, he hid a smile as she looked pretty.

"Have fun," Sanha nodded, turning his attention back to the television. "Enjoy your date!"

His best friends eyes widened ever so slightly, but he didn't let it show. "It isn't a date!"

With that, the girl gave Sunwoo one final awkward, yet warm, smile before she left.

It wasn't hard to notice her as she entered the bowling alley. Her eyes desperately searched for the boys even though his were already locked on her. "Hey!"

"Oh, hi," Jinae nervously waddled over to where the two stood. "Am I late?"

"Nah, we're just super early," Eric chuckled, walking alongside her. "Juyeon just had to be on time today. It's actually Sunyoung who's late."

"Understandable," the girl nodded, seeing Juyeon walk in circles nervously. "Calm down, big guy."

The blonde chuckled from beside her. "I'm really bad at bowling. Why did I even suggest this?"

The two watched as Juyeon internally panicked, chewing his nails nervously. "He's making me anxious, and I am walking anxiety."

"He's giving you a run for your money," Eric joked with the girl as they stood awkwardly watching. "Do you want a drink, food, anything?"

"A juice would be nice," Jinae smiled, the boy nodding.

He turned on his heels, ready to approach the counter before he turned back sharply.

"Okay, here she comes," Eric started, side eying a crowd of people. "She's nice. She's blunt - but nice. Don't take anything she says or does too personal."

"Huh?" Jinae's face only rang up confusion. "Why does she come with a warning?"

"No, no," the blonde shook his head, laughing. "She's a new person for you, I just wanted you to be prepared."

Strangely, the girls heart warmed in her chest. "Oh. Thank you."

Eric nodded, smiling as he patted the girls arm. His eyes travelled her shirt, then back to her face again. "You should wear purple more, it suits you."

With that, he walked away. His compliment lingered in the air for a moment, but was swiftly blown away by the presence of the girl they had been waiting for.

She was beautiful, plain and simple. She wore nothing but a jumper and leggings, so effortlessly pretty and presentable.

It almost made Jinae cower into herself as she watched her and Eric converse.

"Is she here?" She heard Juyeon behind her, sucking in a deep breath. "Oh, god help me."

Pretty, precise and somewhat pretentious.

That's all that Jinae could gather on the girl from this afternoon.

She noted how she barely gave Juyeon attention, but focussed more so on her and Eric. "I love this blouse, where did you get it?"

"Oh," Jinae was surprised the girl was conversing with her. "I'd have to check the label. It was so long ago."

"Well, you can text me when you find out!" Sunyoung chirped, handing over her phone.

She was slightly taken aback, but nonetheless entered her number. "I will do."

Jinae watched as the auburn haired girl turned to Eric, ignoring Juyeon taking his shot. But as she looked over to see him put the ball straight into the gutters, she was somewhat thankful that the girl didn't watch.

"Oh, Eric," she started. "I have a draft for the presentation, should I send it to you later or show you now? I saved it on my phone."

"Better luck next time," Jinae tried to joke with Juyeon, who looked solely at the two conversing on the bench. "You okay?"

"Are they even playing?" The tall boy huffed.

Jinae smiled sadly, taking her shot which was only two short of a strike, earning a cheer from Juyeon.

She was relieved to see him smiling. "Sunyoung, it's your go."

"Oh," she acted clueless, evidently tearing herself from Eric. "Okay."

"You're so good at bowling Jinae!" Eric gushed as the four walked towards the nearest restaurant. "Where did you learn how to do that?"

"I've never been howling," she shrugged casually. "I must be a natural."

"Impressive," the blonde laughed at the smug look upon the girls face as they walked ahead of the two. He glanced back for a second. "Do you think it's going well? For those two, I mean."

Jinae looked two, the pair talking but seemingly about nothing interesting.

She pondered about being honest with him about how things seemed, but as she saw his hopeful face - she decided against it. "Yeah, I think so."

And how she wished she never lied.

She sat across from Eric but beside Juyeon. The conversation ran dry within ten minutes, leaving Sunyoung no other choice but to talk about herself.

"My parents didn't initially want a pool in the garden but I convinced them," she babbled on. "Jinae, you need to come to one of my pool parties. They're the best! Aren't they, Eric?"

"Yeah, they're pretty fun," the boy responded, a kind smile on his face as he eyed Juyeon. "Have you ever been, Juyeon?"

"No, I don't think so," he shook his head.

Sunyoung nodded, her mouth slightly agape as she glanced between the two boys. "Oh, well - you should come too!"

"Have you got one planned?" Jinae asked kindly, the girl nodding before going into detail.

At which point she shut off, as she was sure the boy beside her did too.

It was easy to see why Juyeon fell for her. She had the looks and was bubbly at times, but beneath it all - Jinae wasn't sure if there was much else there.

And as she looked at the sad boy beside her watching as the girl he so desperately clung to laughed too hard at Eric's jokes - she knew she wasn't the one for him.

Jinae chewed the inside of her lip nervously. They weren't that close yet, they had boundaries.

She just knew that telling him that was one that she would have to cross, eventually.