twenty four

Jinae tried her best not to slam the front door after she entered it. It was late, everyone would surely be asleep.

She began to wonder if there is anything she done that may have given him the impression that she wanted to be kissed by him.

But every conclusion she drew in her mind resulted in her attempting to reassure herself that it was never okay for him to have tried that when she was in such a vulnerable state.

Kevin was the one person she wanted to spend her time with when she felt this way, but she began to feel guilty when she realised that maybe that wasn't really a friendship.

With a tear stained face, the girl felt blessed that she didn't feel the way she did earlier. Just hurt.

"Jinae?" A voice from the living room whispered, the girl wiping her face instantly.

"Yeah," she replied dryly, taking a couple quiet steps to see the television still on but no conversation. "What?"

Sunwoo made his way out of the room, his eyes widening when he saw the state the girl was in. The look on his face was enough to make the girl glare at him, before another tear fell. She hated being made a fuss of, and that's what she knew he would do.

"Hey, what's wrong?" He pondered sweetly, but that only made her cry more. Glancing over his shoulder at a sleeping Sanha, he guided her to the kitchen.

She didn't push off the hand that gently lead her that way. She didn't have the energy to fight it.

When he heard her sniffling, he crouched down. "You don't need to tell me what happened."

"No, I-" Jinae started, eventually looking between his eyes. "It's stupid. I just didn't think he would-"

"'He'? Who?" Sunwoo interrupted. "He did this to you?"

He regretted the words as soon as he said them, watching as her face scrunched up and more tears began to fall. He wished his thumb was fast enough to catch every tear, but he soon gave up with that as he reached for a tissue.

"You promise me you're not hurt?" He asked, the girl shaking her head. "He hasn't lay a finger on you?"

"No, nothing like that," she struggled, sucking in a deep breath. "It's okay. I'm fine."

"As long as he didn't touch you. In that case, I'd have to wake up your brother and pay him a visit."

Sunwoo felt a wash of relief as he heard the sound of that all too familiar laugh. She finally smiled, and that's all he wanted to see.

They sat like this for a while, the girl sniffling every so often as the boy awaited her next word. "You should go to bed."

"I'm not tired," Sunwoo shrugged. "Are you?"

"Not really," Jinae grumbled, fidgeting with her fingers before she then wiped her face. "I won't sleep. Too much on my mind."

With a hum, the boy nodded. He pondered if his next words should be spoken. But as he watched the girl slump further into her chair, he wanted to do anything to bring that smile back to her face.

With the weight of his questions upon his shoulders as he dragged his eyes from his sleeping best friend in the living room, he turned to the girl.

"Wanna sneak out and get drunk?" He tilted his head.

He watched as the wheels turned in her mind, she too wondering if this was the best idea.

If tonight had taught her anything, it was not to trust that easily. But as she looked at Kim Sunwoo, the boy who had oddly protected her like her own brother all her life, she felt safe.