twenty two

"Well, I hope you're happy with yourself and how you acted."

Jinae rolled her eyes as her mother clamoured to get her belongings together before she headed off to work.

She could only assume that Hyunjae had told his father about what had happened at the restaurant, and that he wasn't too happy about the whole ordeal.

Jinae had moved past it. It had been over a week now but her mother only just returned to work yesterday.

Of course Hyunjae clouded her thoughts for the first few days after. It was difficult not to think about it when she was sure she had never been so vocally engaged and enraged in a public setting before. The mere thought of it made her cringe.

He wouldn't be easy to forget, that was a certainty, but Jinae wanted nothing more than to put that behind her - which was difficult when her mother proceeded to bring it up every time they were in each others company. "I was only defending you."

"I don't need defended, Jinae," she sighed. "I appreciate the sentiment but it wasn't your place to assume such a thing."

"You're really telling me that you weren't heartbroken? In some way or another?" The younger argued.

"Yes, I was," Mrs Yoon shook her head. "But that wasn't because of him."

"Because of me?" The girl tilted her head, her mothers face softening as she shrugged. "You guys didn't have to split up because of that."

Her mother sighed, almost as though she was exhausted with this conversation - which she was.

"I couldn't sit by and watch my daughter fall in love with the man I loved's son," she explained. "And only offer her a lifetime of unhappiness and longing for someone she couldn't have."

"You didn't have to do that for me," Jinae finally softened her voice. "You should have stayed with him."

"My mother did the same for me," Mrs Yoon shrugged. "And it gave me your father. So I say if you really want him you should get him, but apologise for your behaviour first."

Jinae stayed still, pondering her words, yet part of her still didn't want to rush out that door and beg for his forgiveness or to get him back.

She could only feel touched at her mothers selflessness, even more so knowing that her grandmother was the same.

"And maybe Mr Lee might tell his sister that Sangyeon can tutor you again this year."

"Oh my god," Jinae groaned. "He seriously forbid him from this household?"

With a nod, her mother shrugged with a face as though to say 'this is the consequence of your actions'.

As she headed to the door, she stifled a giggle as she heard her daughter mumble to herself. "Mr Lee is a little bitch..."

Jacob blinked harshly as he looked at the distressed girl. "You look... horrified."

"Why did you suggest that I could even be merely capable to do something like this?" Jinae sounded as though she was accusing him.

"It can't be that bad," he tried to ease the conversation only to receive a glare in reply. "Really?"

"No, I'm being dramatic," the girl sighed, taking off the shirt she wore over her daycare uniform. "It's really difficult, though. Maybe I'm just not good with blood."

"Well you've made it through three full days! That has to count for something."

He was right in a sense. The first day of being an apprentice veterinary assistant was probably the most difficult experience of her life. She knew it would become rewarding eventually, she just didn't realise how awful she would be with the sight of an actual operation.