The Breakup

Hope's POV

I was still having the dreams of Josie's death every night. It had gotten so bad I was seeing it whenever I closed my eyes. Some witches can predict the future but it's dangerous. But if this is the future if this is Josie's future then I have to stop it no matter what. Even if it breaks me.

Josie was dragging me on a date trying to get me to open up to her I guess. Or maybe she was trying to get me to go back to my usual self. But all I could think about was her death. I even started to avoid her so I didn't have to see that.

We sat down at the restaurant Josie had picked out. It was a small cafe on the edge of town. We sat outside under an umbrella and normally I would be happy. This was the perfect date. My dream date really. But all I could think about where my dreams.

"So maybe after this we could catch a movie or Lizzie said something about." Josie smiled.

"I think we should break up." I sighed.

"What?" Josie choked.

Her face dropped from the amazing smile and it took everything in me not to try and get it back. I could barely control the tears that I wanted to let out.

"This just isn't working out." I said.

"Why? What did I do wrong? Is this because of your nightmares? Hope!" Josie sobbed.

"No. No it's not because of my nightmares. I just think that we are better friends. Look you'll always be one of my best friends I just don't think we are meant to be dating." I lied.

I felt sick. God I didn't want to do this and the look she gave me hurt like hell. When the tears started it made it even worse. I wanted to hug her or show her that all this was to protect her but I knew Josie better then anyone. If I told her that this was for her protection she wouldn't let me do it. She never would. She whipped the tears from her eyes.

"I'll find someplace else to stay for the summer Josie." I sighed.

"No. Um. You're still our guest and still my friend you're staying." Josie choked.

When we got back to Caroline's place my aunt was waiting for me at the door. Josie rushed inside and I walked up to my aunt.

"So you went through with it." Freya said.

"If I really am seeing the future I can't let it happen. And if she's not with me it won't happen." I explained.

"There are only a handful of witches who can have premonitions most of them aren't what they seem. You could have feed her vampire blood everyday or put a protection spell on her." Freya suggested.

"A protection spell could fail. Especially if this person is a witch. And I won't make her chose me or her mortality Freya." I sighed.

Lizzie came out scowling and Freya just left leaving me alone with her. She hit me. She tried again but this time I caught her arm making her groan.

"She's up there crying because of you! She loves you! And don't give me all that bullshit you have her! You're in love with her so there has to be a better reason then that!" Lizzie shouted.

I explained the dreams and how they kept repeating in my mind or dreams. Lizzie just listened as we both sat down.

"These dreams are just dreams." Lizzie scoffed.

"They could be more Lizzie. Some powerful witches can see the future parts of it anyway and if this dream comes true. I just can't let it. I can't let her die." I cried.

Lizzie sighed hugging me tightly. I finally let go of it all. It felt like a huge release.

"Hope I know you're afraid but lying to Josie is wrong. She thinks she did something for you to break up with her. You love her and she loves you. It'll always be dangerous for someone you care about. But just because you broke up doesn't mean she won't be a target. She's safer with you then without." Lizzie said.

"But if she died and it's my fault I couldn't deal with that." I cried.

"I know. I do. Hope Josie and I are supposed to merge in a couple years. Do you think that's not scary? One of us is supposed to kill the other." Lizzie sated.

"I'd never let the merge happen." I gasped.

"I know. And you'd never let anything happen to Josie or me. There isn't a safer place then by your side for us. Do you really think Josie isn't hurt? She is." Lizzie explained.

I cried again. For hours this time.