Living, Loving, and Letting Go

Artemis:

I'm going out with Jason today. He said he wanted to talk to me about something important. It must be because he texted me so early this morning. Not sure what that's about. Wally didn't try calling back last night. I feel bad, but it's for the best. I hope.

(The next morning in Will and Jade's bedroom, Jade wakes up to Will watching the news.)

"Good Morning." Jade smiles, leaning towards Will.
"Morning." Will mumbles, distracted by the tv.
"Last night was unexpected. Amazing, but unexpected. You should teach me lessons more often." Jade flirts, gently stroking Will's arm.
"I'm glad you feel that way. I'll keep that in mind the next time you get ornery."
"Was I really that bad?"
"Yes. But you made up for it last night." Will smirks, putting his arm around Jade.
"Mmm...I love this." Jade grins, cuddling close to him.
"Good."
"But there is one problem."
"What now?"
"I hate watching the news. Would you please turn it off."
"Alright. There. Happy?"
"Very. Can you believe it? Before you know it, we're gonna have another little girl in our arms."
"Yeah. That's gonna be something."
"Lian's is so excited. I think telling her the baby is a girl made her more excited." Jade laughs.
"I'm glad she's happy about it. To be honest, I was a little worried she would be jealous, but she seems to be handling it well."
"Honey, would you give me a back massage?"
"Sure. Our baby making you sore?"
"Yeah. Thank you."
"Of course, baby." Will smiles, softly kissing Jade's neck as he carefully moves her hair away.

(Later that day at work, Artemis meets up with Jason to have lunch.)

"Hey. Ready for lunch?" Artemis says.
"Yep. How's work?" Jason asks.
"It's fine. Midterms are coming up and most of the students seem to be doing good. How's school?"
"Almost done. I can't wait to be finished and start working."
"I agree. And we'll get to see each other a lot more since you will be working here." Artemis exclaims.
"Artemis. I wanted to talk to you about that."
"Ok?" Artemis hesitantly replies.
"I've been offered a job in Pennsylvania. You know, where my family is."
"Yeah. And?"
"And I'm gonna take it."
"Why? I thought you liked Star City."
"I do, but my parents really want to seem me again and...well."
"This doesn't have to do with your parents. Does it?"
"Sigh...I just don't feel like you want this to go anywhere." Jason replies.
"No. That not true. It's...it's just that..."
"Artemis. Something about you makes me think you're holding on to something from your past. I can't figure out what, but whatever it is, you need to either let it go or deal with it."
"Sigh, your right Jason. I'm sorry. I wasted your time and that was wrong of me."
"That's not true Artemis. I had so many great times with you. You're an amazing woman and I don't want this to get between us. Just promise me that you'll be ok."
"I will, Jason. And thank you. Without you, I never would have been able to get through some things. I know you don't know what they are, but you did so much for me regardless. And for that, I'll never be able to repay you." Artemis smiles.
"Goodbye Artemis. And see you around for a little while longer." Jason grins before walking away.

(That night after work at the house.)

"I'm home." Artemis pronounces.
Hey Sis. Come in the kitchen." Jade says, motioning her to follow.
"Uh...ok?"

As Artemis walks in the kitchen, she notices Will, Lian, Richard, Barbara, and Wally all sitting around the table.

"What's going on?" Artemis asks, looking at Will.
"We're gonna go out to dinner. My treat." Will exclaims.
"Your treat?!" Jade blurts.
"Hush, Jade." Will grumbles.
"Oh. How nice." Artemis uncomfortably replies.
"Good to see you, Artemis." Barbara smiles.
"Hey Barbara. How are you?"
"Well, besides being engaged, I'm great!"
"Engaged? Richard, I didn't know you had it in you! Congratulations!" Artemis laughs, hugging Barbara.
"Heh! Yeah. Well, she finally wore me down." Richard grins.
"Whatever!" Barbara says, punching his arm.
"Ow. See, abuse is already starting."
"Alright you guys. Let's get ready to go." Will pronounces.
"Jade, I don't think I should go." Artemis whispers.
"What? Why not?"
"Wally. I just don't think it such a..."
"Artemis, remember what I told you?"
"Yeah, but."
"Just treat him like a friend, ok."
"Sigh. Right."

(Thirty minutes later at the restaurant.)

"Thanks Will. This is really nice of you." Barbara says.
"No problem. Besides, it's not everyday you get engaged." Will chuckles.
"I hope not." Jade smirks.
"Man! Have menus always had this many options?!" Wally exclaims.
"This place is expanding. Along with their food apparently." Artemis replies.
"Oh. Uh...how was your day, Artemis?" Wally nervously asks.
"It was...mediocre."
"Why? What happened?" Richard grins.
"Richard! Rude!" Barbara loudly whispers.
"Sorry."
"No. It's fine. It's just that Jason has been offered a job in Pennsylvania." Artemis sighs.
"He's not gonna take it though, right?" Jade says.
"No, he is. His family is there and it just seems to be working out that way."
"But you're not going, are you?" Wally frowns.
"No. We both feel it's better this way." Artemis says, tears forming in her eyes before getting up and walking away.
"Jade, maybe you should go check on her." Will suggests.
"Yeah, ok." Jade replies before leaving.

(Quickly Jade heads to the girls bathroom, knocking on the door.)

"Artemis? You in there?"
"Yeah." Artemis sniffles.
"Can I come in?"
"Sure. I unlocked the door."
"Hey. What's wrong?" Jade asks, coming in and closing the door.
"I'm just hurting."
"About Jason?"
"Yeah. And Wally."
"Artemis."
"He kissed me." Artemis interrupts.
"Who? Wally?"
"Yeah."
"Is that supposed to be a bad thing?" Jade smiles.
"Yes...I mean no. I mean I don't know."
"Sis, look at me. Stop living like this. Make a choice inside yourself. Do you want to be with Wally or do you want to move on? You spent years grieving his death and now he's back. What is it you truly want?"
"I want him to understand! I want him to know the pain I went through. I don't want to just sweep in under the rug!" Artemis cries.
"Artemis, he hurt too. That entire time you were mourning, he was too. Don't you know that?" Jade says.
"I...I guess I didn't think about that. I thought he didn't know what was happening to himself when it was taking place. I've been so selfish. So consumed in my own grief that I completely overlooked his. How could I be so blind?"
"Artemis, we all make that mistake from time to time. I was selfish when I ran away from Will and Lian. I meant it to protect them, but it only hurt them. I can't go back no matter how much I wish I could, so instead, I'm trying to be here now. But if you need to start over, that's ok too."
"Sigh, you're right Jade. Thank you. For everything." Artemis replies, hugging her.
"Of course. I'm always here for you, Artemis. Always." Jade smiles, hugging her back.

(After a great time, everyone leaves the restaurant, heading home.)

"That was yummy." Jade says as they walk in the house.
"I'm glad you liked it, baby." Will smiles, giving her a kiss on the cheek.
"Where is Artemis?"
"You're as bad as me."
"Ok. Maybe a little."
"I think she's outside still."
"Doing what?"
"I don't know, Jade. I try not to pry." Will smirks.
"Good one." Jade smiles.

(Outside the house.)

"I can't believe I lost it." Artemis exclaims, looking around the car.
"What's wrong?" Wally says.
"Wally? I thought you left already."
"I was about to when I heard you getting frustrated."
"I can't find my phone. I think I left it at work."
"That's a bummer. Do you need to use mine?"
"Thanks Wally, but that's ok. You probably need it."
"Not really. Besides, you may need it more."
"It's ok, Wally. But thanks."
"No problem." Wally smiles before walking back to his car.
"Wally?"
"Yeah?"
"I'm sorry about my behavior lately. I've been treating you badly. Avoiding you and expecting you to understand things about me that even I don't understand. I guess ever since you came back, I haven't been able to know how to think or feel, completely disregarding all you went through. I was selfish. I'm so sorry." Artemis says, tears slowly falling from her eyes.
"Artemis. I'm sorry too. I don't know all you went through when I...I guess died. But I do know that if it happened to you, I wouldn't know how to handle it. But what we both went through shouldn't be something we keep looking back at. Instead, we should remember all that it meant to each other and move forward. Even if we're not together." Wally replies, gently wiping Artemis tears away.
"Wally, I just want things to go back to the way they were."
"I know, Artemis."
"Do you think...maybe we could start things out slowly?"
"Artemis, I'd like that a lot." Wally smiles.