Growing Together

Artemis:

Jade brought Lian home yesterday. I'm glad she's back. Jade looks happier too. Somehow things feel like they're gonna be ok, even if Jade is still hurting.

(Its a bright, sunny morning and Will is woken up to the blaring ring of his phone.)

"Ugh...sigh, hello?" Will answers.
"Good morning Mr. Harper. This is Dr. Jewl. I'm calling to inform you of the results from the autopsy."
"Yes? What was found?" Will anxiously sits up, carefully listening.
"Well, it would seem that your baby suffocated due to the umbilical cord getting knotted somehow, cutting off oxygen. This is most common in the last few weeks of pregnancy. This is not something anyone could have predicted or prevented. Please understand Mr. Harper, this isn't your's or Jade's fault. Nothing anyone did caused this. It's just a very sad and unfortunate circumstance."
"Thank you, Doctor. I'll be sure to tell Jade."
"Of course. And please give Jade my best."
Dr. Jewl says before hanging up.

Turning towards Jade, Will begins to gently move her hair away from her face, eventually waking her up.

"Mmm...morning." Jade sits up somewhat depressingly.
"Dr. Jewl just called. She said it was a knotted umbilical cord. Suffocation. She also said no one caused it or could have prevented it." Will quietly explains.
"Did she say anything else?"
"Just that this isn't our fault. Jade, I don't want this to get between us anymore. I know this is hard, but..."
"I know, Will. I know." Jade replies as she slowly stands up and walks towards the bathroom.
"Jade?"
"We should tell Lian today. Together." Jade says, leaning her head against the doorway.
"Jade, listen. I just want to say that I'm sorry. This has just been so difficult for both of us for a lot of reasons." Will walks up to Jade, resting his hands against her arms.
"How do we just move on? Trying seems so impossible."
"It will at first, but we can get through it together."
"Will?"
"Yes, Baby?" Will replies as he softly kisses her neck.
"Do you look at me the same?"
"Of course I do. If not, stronger." Will begins to slowly brush his hands across Jade's stomach, triggering her to tremble.
"I want to take your pain away. Just let me."
"I'm afraid you'll hate what I've become." Jade hesitantly whispers.
"Turn around and look at me." Will sternly demands.

As Jade turns towards him, looking down, Will grabs ahold of her chin, lifting her head.

"I love you more than anything in the world, Jade Harper. You could never displease me by what you look like. Especially as a result of you trying. You were willing to give me a baby. Just because something went wrong and even if it didn't, doesn't ever mean you can't make me happy. Just being with you for you is what truly pleases me. And In my eyes, Mrs. Harper, you're still and always will be the most beautiful and most amazing woman any man could ever dream of marrying." Will smiles, looking into Jade's eyes, completely enchanted.

Without a second thought, Jade begins embracing Will as he quickly grabs ahold of her waist and upper back, connecting his lips with her's. Impatiently picking her up, Will carries Jade to their bed, still avidly kissing her.

(Later that morning, Will and Jade make their way to the kitchen for coffee.)

"Are you hungry?" Jade asks as she rubs her hands along the sides of Will's stomach, smiling at him.
"Maybe. What's on the menu?" Will smirks.
"Anything you want."
"Then I'll take more of you." Will grins as he begins slowly kissing her neck.
"Gladly. That tickles." Jade giggles.
"Does it?"

As they begin to intensify again, Lian wakes up and walks towards the kitchen to get some breakfast.

"Ahhh!!!!" Lian screams, running off, starting Will and Jade.
"What the?! Why did she scream?" Will raises a brow.
"I guess we freaked her out." Jade laughs.
"But we we're just kissing."
"Yeah, a lot."
"Oh yeah." Will smiles as he draws Jade closer to him.
"Will, We should tell her."
"Sigh, you're right. But it's not gonna be easy."
"I know, but at least we're doing it together."
"You're right."

(Nervously Will and Jade hold hands as they walk towards Lian's room, finding her hiding behind the opened door.)

"Lian? Honey come on out." Jade peaks behind the door.
"What where you doing?" Lian slowly slides out.
"We were showing each other affection. It's one way couples show that they love each other." Will explains, kneeling down by Lian.
"Oh. That's weird. I'm never gonna do that."
"That's right." Will grins as Jade smirks at him.
"Well, time to eat!"
"Wait just a minute, LeeLee. Mommy and I need to talk to you."
"Yeah?"
"Remember how you went to grandma's last week?"
"Yeah."
"Well, that's because a week ago mommy had some problems with the baby. The doctor took a look and found that mommy had miscarried. Do you understand what that means?"
"Not really."
"It means that the baby won't be arriving like we had originally expected."
"So I'm not gonna have a sister?" Lian frowns, trying to understand.
"You will always have a sister, she just won't be with us." Jade kneels next to Will.
"But why? What happened to her?"
"Unfortunately having a baby means there are risks, and if a baby loses oxygen to it's body, death can occur. I know this sounds confusing, but in time, you will understand it better." Will replies.
"Oh..." Lian sorrowfully lowers her head.
"I'm sorry, sweetheart. Daddy and I were very disappointed too. We still are. But the important thing is to always love and remember her while we move forward."

As tears gradually begin to fall down Lian's face, Will and Jade grab ahold of her, hugging her tightly.