Prelude 1 : The Beginning

There was a demon at the airport.

Well, several demons actually if he had to count the guy manning the pretzel shop, and that woman walking around giving away advertisement flyers for beauty products Mew had no intention of checking out.

There was another one that he'd passed by on his way to the arrival gate, but they were mostly the harmless ones that didn't require his attention.

Demons mostly don't concern him. There were other 'supernatural' beings that were assigned to deal with them, keep them in check in case there were those who were stupid enough to act as though terrorizing humans was as much a game as it was for their pleasure. But sometimes, it was inevitable that they would interfere, especially when the demon in question had decided to step up the ante by drawing attention to themselves.

Keeping the humans safe was one thing, and it was another to make sure they were blissfully unaware of other creatures living alongside them at least if he could help it. It was always about keeping the balance. One faction keeping the demons in check, the sentinels (and their lycan guards) were responsible for gate-keeping the vampire nation.

Still, if he could avoid delegating his sentinels to do the cleanup job, he would, but only if necessary. He'd much rather stick to his job; making sure there were little to no rogue vamps around was already a full-time responsibility, and nosing about someone else's affair would be careless, if not stupid.

Being the leader didn't exempt him from making mistakes though. And he had to constantly remind himself of his weakness in order to do better. To show the other sentinels he was trying his best even though they knew of his struggles.

It was hard but he soldiered on. They were fighting an almost never-ending battle against the same creatures they once vowed to protect, the same creatures that were sent here on Earth merely to observe humans.

The vampires that preyed on humans now were once like them, cursed for eternity for losing their wings as punishment for their sins.

The same sin Mew knew he was going to be punished for in due time.

But for now, he had a job to do and so he would do it, in spite of everything.

And that was what brought him here, at the airport after a close to two hour flight from Chiang Rai, exhausted not because of the travel but by the way the job he went there with his lycan guards had turned for the worse.

It was a vampire-related case, alright, but it was a goddamn nightmare. So bad that the vampire who called it in was afraid he'd be dead too before morning.

Mew had expected a carnage of some degree, but he seriously didn't expect to find an entire village wiped out almost overnight as a result, by a group of newly-turned vampires that went into a murder spree to satiate their hunger for blood.

They'd caught up with the group camping at a nearby abandoned facility, and killing them off didn't even feel particularly satisfying when he thought of the people they'd murdered just recently.

And now here he was, barely fifteen minutes since their plane landed and he already dreaded the next job he would be picking up once he reached home.

A job that included snooping around for a change. Well, apart from the usual at least.

Apparently, that was what they had to resort to for the time being, given that they still had no idea what they were dealing with.

This was according to Tul, who'd informed him about it just before they left for Chiang Rai the day before. He gathered this matter still concerned the vampires, because otherwise his second wouldn't even bother him about it.