Part 11 : End of days

His heart was racing, blood pounding through his ears, but he was certain the expression on his face gave nothing away. The vampire in front of him was seething, pacing back and forth as his sister's body grew cold.

Mew's wings fluttered agitatedly across his back, sensing the presence of so many vampires near him. He wouldn't be here if it weren't for her, and he was certain Vachirawit knew this too.

"I don't know why she's not healing," he muttered, his arms securely around her, keeping her tucked close to his body. She wasn't moving, but he could still hear the faint sound of her pulse, the slow but worryingly uneven beat of her heart in her ribcage. Her once pristine and spotless neck was marred with blood, her flesh torn open at the jugular.

He'd caught the demon that did this to her, but it was too late. She'd already lost a lot of blood and giving her some of his didn't help either.

"Your blood won't do much for her at this point," Vachirawit bit back, glowering at him from that short distance. "You should know. Just look at her, Suppasit. She's dying. And she's going to die unless you allow me to help her."

He gritted his teeth hearing that. He honestly thought there was another way aside from the one the vampire was hinting at, but he couldn't have that. He wouldn't allow it.

"By making her a bloodsucker like you?" he hissed. "No, Vachirawit. If you do that, she'll lose her soul."

The vampire scoffed. "That's just what you hypocrites think. Just because I lost my wings, it doesn't mean I lost my soul too. Think about it, Sentinel."

He shook his head. "You're killing innocent people for sustenance now, Vachirawit, and yet you think you still have a soul left in you? You're just alive because of the blood of the living, vampire. I'm not going to let Kanarin suffer the same fate. She's an angel too. If she dies now, I can bargain with the Almighty so her soul can return and then we can be together again. I can do that." he said.

Vachirawit's eyes were wide as he took two steps towards them. "You're mad, Suppasit! Leave her to me, don't touch her, don't you fucking touch her!" the vampire was screaming but Mew wasn't listening. His wings furled around him and her body, forming an indestructible cocoon that not even vampires could break.

The blade he summoned in his hand felt heavy, but the decision to take her life weighed heavier. He could feel her life slipping away, her skin freezing under his touch.

"Come back to me, my love," he whispered, aiming the blunt end of the dagger in her chest, right above her heart, his own breaking in pieces knowing what he was about to do. "Come back to me. I will be waiting. Even if it takes forever, I will wait for you, Kana. Just come back to me. Come back to me, my love." he pushed the dagger into her heart, hearing her take her last breath, and then she was gone.

He squeezed his eyes shut and let out an anguish cry.

-

It took him a while to get Gulf to calm down, convince him that the woman in his dream had no connection to him or to whatever shit she had shown him while he was in his slumber. It wasn't easy, but he didn't have to tell the younger man he had a little help.

He left Gulf in bed once he was certain he'd fallen back to sleep and went out to find Tul. If it were just him, he'd rather stay there to watch Gulf, make sure he was there to break him away from his nightmares should they come but he knew he had to leave. He had to. In order to keep Gulf safe, he needed the courage to be away from him for long periods of time just to make it happen.