Part 15 : My heart and soul are yours

The moment the sentinel flew away with Gulf in his arms, his lycan guard was once again onto Bright, the other, calmer lycan wasn't quick enough to stop him.

Bright felt the exact moment his back hit the SUV's passenger side door, the young lycan's fingers wound tight around his windpipe. Snarling like an offended beast and making Bright smile despite himself.

Closing in on him, the lycan bared his teeth. "What the fuck did you to him?" it was obviously a threat, not even a question, and yet it felt as though it was anything but.

"Win, calm down. We have our orders to stand down, don't you forget that." the other lycan was saying, tugging at this younger one, urging him to let go, just as the other angel there - Tul, Bright realized - mumbled something under his breath.

As if on cue, the other, buffer lycan stepped back and sighed, turning to give Tul a look.

"No, I'm staying right here. You go ahead and check what's happening." the older lycan said. Bright caught him standing his ground, gaze focused on the younger lycan and barely acknowledging the retreating angel leaving the premises without another word.

The younger lycan was on him still, fingers wounding around his neck tight, and then gradually tightening, his rage unmistakable in the almost non-existent space between them. And yet instead of throwing him off like Bright would in normal circumstances, he found himself welcoming it, grinning through his teeth and making the young lycan bristle visibly in rage.

"You killed him, didn't you? Answer me, damn it!" the lycan hissed, and somehow his hold around Bright's neck went tighter, but still not tight enough to kick Bright's instincts into gear.

Well, he guessed for these beasts, turning humans into vampires meant killing them too. Clearly, they have a very different view on the matter and nothing he would say would make a difference.

He wouldn't give this lycan the satisfaction to see him grovel, but he could rile him up just to prove his point.

"You already heard what happened, dog. I'm not going to repeat all of that just to give you the satisfaction to hear me talk. I mean, I can talk plenty, but not about something that doesn't concern you." he quipped, eyeing the bristling lycan closely.

Part of him wanted to push the raging young lycan off, and yet there was something in the way he was getting into Bright's face, trying to assert his dominance that was sexy as hell. The way those warm fingers gripped his throat like a predator marking his prey was hitting all of Bright's hot buttons just right.

And it was all so goddamn confusing.

The lycan's nostrils flared, clearly sensing the abrupt change in the air between them. Bright swallowed thickly and was certain the lycan did too, his throat dry at the lycan's mouth-watering scent and it was driving him insane with it.

Something was seriously very fucking wrong with him.

"He's my charge, bloodsucker. You had someone take him from the lair under my watch so that goes without saying that whatever happens to him concerns me too."

Bright arched an eyebrow at the lycan at that, amused and equal parts impressed. Mostly impressed, for very obvious reasons.

Partly because he hadn't expected Mew to leave his sister - well, Gulf, actually - under the protection of someone so young and an obviously inexperienced lycan, neither he'd expected the sentinel to be so calm and collected upon finding out the love of his life was gone.

Or the fact that Mew was more concerned by the fact that his sister's human shell was dying, his soul retained when Bright thought turning the human into a vampire would mean killing the human soul for his sister's soul to emerge.