Part 13 : Truce

Mew came home to an empty house and two extremely pissed off lycans pacing the front porch.

The smell of drying blood was the first that greeted him, apart from the various foreign scents permitting the air. The stench was so strong he'd almost doubled over in his attempt to differentiate each, from those that belonged to the lycans and the one that belonged to Gulf.

There was that distinct scent of blood that stood out from all the rest.

The smell was faint, so that meant the amount of blood that spilled shouldn't alarm him, but it still did, given that Gulf was missing and the two recovering lycan guards had no idea who had taken him.

"And you're saying there were no sentinels around? How did that happen?" his questions were directed at Max, but given that both were there and they were both eyeing him as he stood before them waiting for their answer, he didn't care who was speaking first.

He caught Max's gaze and held it. "We thought you sent all of them away for an assignment." it sounded like a question and yet the way it was delivered told Mew it was anything but.

He shook his head. "I didn't. And even if I did, they should know better than to leave this place unprotected. All of them all at once? I don't fucking think so."

And that, at least, was the norm. They already have a working system around here, one that has worked for them for years. He might not be directly responsible for designating jobs to each of the sentinel and their lycan guards but he at least made it a point to know what was happening.

He'd always been more comfortable leading the frontlines instead of staying back to let his sentinels do the job. Patrolling the human world wasn't an easy task, so he'd made it his priority to be there leading the sentinels should there be a need to eliminate a group of rogue vamps or demons. The lycans would be their backup safety and support, and he treated them just as he would a loyal servant even though he knew the other angels didn't share the same sentiment.

Max shrugged. "Well then I guess there's no need to point out the obvious, P'Mew. Gulf's abduction might just be a distraction to cover up the real reason why this is all happening. If you ask me, it's clear we're dealing with more than just a random incident involving some winged creature snatching a helpless, human boy from the angel's lair."

The statement made him swear colorfully under his breath.

"So it wasn't a vampire that took him?" his question was met with a brief silence before both lycans were shaking his head in answer.

"Pretty sure I saw something with massive wings flew away from your bedroom's balcony before my head was bashed in, but who can back me up on that when it's just Win and I in here? There's not even one sentinel around when we checked, and if that's not peak bizarre to you, I don't know what else this is." Max looked and sounded pissed.

"You haven't seen anyone since you arrived either, huh?" the buff lycan inquired, eyeing him critically.

He shook his head. "What about the lycans?" and that was another weird part; there should be at least thirty beasts guarding the whole place, but even those lycans were missing.

"What about them?"

He breathed roughly through his nose, swallowing past his irritation and feeling the prickling heat along his back. His wings would be fluttering in his agitation if he had allowed it to unfurl as he talked to the lycans, but he always had a feeling that the beasts weren't comfortable with him parading his wings around unlike Gulf did.

"You forgot to mention that there wasn't a single lycan around when Tul and I arrived here either."

Max gave him a look. "Win and I are here." he muttered, as if that should be explanation enough.