7: The Root That Doesn't Burn

Chapter 7: The Root That Doesn't Burn.
Disclaimer: I do NOT own Naruto. Naruto is the work of Masashi Kishimoto.

Tick-tock... tick-tock...

As the seconds ticked by, hours passed by like a breeze. In the middle of the room, Naruto lay motionless on the floor, sweat oozing out from every pore of his body.

!

Suddenly, Naruto's eyes snapped open, revealing his moist, hazy lavender eyes. For some reason, tears trickled from his unfocused eyes but he barely noticed. His mind whirled as he tried to discern the events that transpired.

"What... was that?"

After removing the foreign chakra deep inside his head, Naruto passed out. Glancing at the clock hanging on the coffee-colored walls, Naruto noticed that only hours had ticked by.

Naruto was puzzled. Although forcefully "devouring" foreign chakra inside one's body had repercussions, he should only feel weak for a couple of days and not faint.

'Did the chakra knock me out as a last-ditch effort?

Naruto felt uneasy. Closing his eyes, Naruto hastily scanned his entire chakra system, but he found no anomaly.

'What happened?'

Naruto was truly confused now. Having no other idea as to what could've happened to him, Naruto entered his mindscape.

[Inside Naruto's mindscape]

Facing the appalled fox, Naruto was baffled. Never in a million years would he have expected that the mighty and fearless Kyuubi no Youko would be capable of showing fright.

Naruto asked, "Fox, tell me what happened."

"..."

For a while, the fox was silent.

Seeing that he was contemplating, rather than refusing to answer, Naruto gave the fox time to ponder. Although his willpower was strong enough to bind the nine-tailed fox, he couldn't force the fox to spill the tea.

"Uzumaki Naruto, I want to make a deal with you."

Hearing the deep, majestic voice of the nine tails, Naruto realized the seriousness of the matter and replied solemnly.

"Okay. What do you want?"

Seeing that Naruto took his words seriously, the nine tails nodded his giant fox head.

"The deal is simple. You can use my wisdom; in return, you can't use your chains to bind me."

"Chains? Aren't you already bound by chains?"

Naruto was taken aback. He used his willpower to create chains inside his mindscape to restrain the unruly fox. But now, the fox was asking not to be chained. What kind of wordplay is this?

"These chains are different. They're like ordinary ropes made using your willpower. I'm talking about your chakra chains."

'Chakra chains?' Naruto thought for a while before trying to summon the "chakra chains" that the nine tails mentioned. Guessing by the name of the technique, Naruto summoned his chakra and focused on summoning chains.

As his chakra spun around his body, Naruto felt his back becoming hot and itchy. It was like a new set of limbs was trying to grow from his back.

Clang! Clang!

Then, as if someone was scratching his back, Naruto felt the itch subside and he felt like he had just grown wings. Opening his eyes which had unknowingly closed in pleasure, Naruto saw red chakra chains sprouting from his back.