59: The Family of Eight

Chapter 59: The Family of Eight Arc: Kirigakure's Civil War

Disclaimer: I do NOT own Naruto. Naruto is the work of Masashi Kishimoto, please support the original work.

After shaking off the ninja, Naruto kept walking. This time, he didn't hurry and calmly walked.

'A ninja must rid himself of emotions. At the very least, he should throw them away during a mission.'

This was something that Naruto learned, but never practiced.

He barely paid attention to the academy back in Konoha. Even if he did, he doubted he would gain any useful knowledge. The academy was a trap. Its purpose was to instill Konoha's ideology in the student.

That is to say, it was a slow process of engraving the "will of fire" to every ninja in training.

'I can't say there's anything wrong with the method. I just wished they'd teach more practical things...'

He lamented inside his head.

Because he didn't pay heed to the lectures and the lack of practical teachings in the academy, Naruto only had a rough idea of how a ninja should act.

If he looked back at his prior actions, he could confidently say that...

'I'm unfit to be a ninja.'

Even though his specialization was in fuinjutsu, an art meant to be discrete and silent, the very first sealing formula he created and perfected had the word "explosive" written all over it.

'I guess this mission in Kirigakure is the best time to remedy my ninja skills.'

The first thing he wanted to train was his stealth. He'd always wanted to train his stealth since the konoha invasion, but he never found the right time until now.

'We had to face an alien for goodness sake.'

Right now, he was training his stealth. Even if he was feeling around with no clear goal, he figured it was best to at least start.

'I don't know yet if I'm close to the location or not...'

But it seems that he'll need a lot more patience than he was used to.

The walk toward the north was wholly uneventful. Naruto saw fewer and fewer buildings as he traveled further north, and after three hours of walking, he finally saw the thick wall of trees.

'I just... reached the forest?'

To be exact, he had to cross one massive forest before reaching his location. The entire forest was Kirigakure's ninja camp, and Naruto had to infiltrate it secretly.

There was just one problem.

'Won't I take days if I continue at this pace?!'

According to the map, the area of the village he just passed was around a fifth of the entire journey. Meaning, he has to walk for at least another half a day.

But that half a day would be stretched endlessly if he has to hide from ninjas all day long.

'This isn't working. I can't just walk like a snail. I have to learn how to move fast, but unseen.'

Making up his mind, Naruto slapped a chakra restriction seal to his chest and hid it under his clothes.

'I know that Kirigakure is famous for their Hiding in the Mist Jutsu. There's fog everywhere. If I use even a slight amount of chakra, the ninjas will know. Even then, I'm not guaranteed to be hidden...'