Chapter One - Juliet

My day starts off normal then goes downhill really quick. I awake at my parents' house with no recollection of how I got here. I sit up to find that I have a searing headache and then I remember why and how I got to be in my old bed. Oh no. If I'm here then, someone is not going to be happy.

I look at the clock to see it's nine thirty in the morning so that gives me enough time to get ready and somewhat sober up. So I get up and stumble my way downstairs to find my mother waiting for me in the kitchen. "I'm surprised you even woke up," she says with her usual attitude.

"Oh please. Take it down a few dials. I mean, it's before noon," I add as I grab a cup of lukewarm coffee.

My mom rolls her eyes but doesn't say anything until my dad comes into the room. "What time are we leaving?" she asks him. My dad stops short of what he was doing to investigate me.

"When did you get here?" he asks as he sits down. "I thought you'd be with Michael."

I sip instead of answering but I know my parents don't like that so I just say, "Michael and I had a falling out last night."

"Oh," he says sadly. "I hope it's not too serious." Funny. They care more about Michael than their own daughter. "Well you better be alright to go today. It's a big day for the both of us."

"Yes I know. You've both been talking about this day for I believe two months now." I sip more coffee instead of talking to them more than I need to. My headache seems to be gone from my hangover but a new one is starting to take its place.

"You should clean up, Juliet," my mom says as she sits beside my dad. "We need to look our best today."

***

After a ton of coaxing from my mother to wear the dress that Michael gave me for Christmas last year, we finally make it downtown to the business lunch with my parents, Michael's parents and some other assholes I don't know. When we get there, I see Michael standing outside waiting for us – or myself – and looks angry. I roll my eyes because I know he'll act friendly to my parents but his anger will be almost boiling over. We walk up to him and my parents greet him as I stand back. Once they're done with their bullshit, Michael walks up to me and puts his arm around my waist as he kisses me on the cheek. "I'm surprised you're sober," he says through his teeth. Even though he sucks almost all the time, I actually agree with him for once.

"We should all go in," my mother says as she holds my dad's hand as if to say that their marriage is still perfect. The guys agree and I'm stuck here in my own personal hell.

My parents go in and I'm here with Michael. He leans into me and whispers through gritted teeth, "You forgot this." He proceeds to give me the engagement ring that I threw at his head last night. Weird. Forgot is not the word I would have chosen. "I hope you're not planning on ruining today." If I was, I'd be the dumbest person in the city... right behind Michael.

After an hour or so of endless small talk, I say that I need some air. I can't stand all the bullshit all the time but it's somewhat entertaining. I love watching people act fake in front of virtually everyone to just have an image of who they want to be. Hopefully I'm not like them but I wouldn't be surprised if I am; I mean I do live with them. Just as I felt better, Michael walks outside with me and completely ruins my mood. "Where did you go last night?" he asks. He stands there in a suit with no jacket making me hate him a little more than I already do.

"By Brooke," I say honestly. There's no need to lie to him.

"I should have guessed." He looks out onto Main St. and then looks down. "She never approved of me."