Chapter Twenty Eight - Charlie

Kate and I were making out on my couch when I got a text message from Seth, frantically asking if he could meet at the bowling alley tonight.

What's the meaning behind this? I texted back.

I'm finally going on a date but I'm so flipping scared.

Scared of what?

Scared I'm going to do something stupid!!! I need a barrier of some sort!

And I'm the barrier?

YES! NOW COME ON!

I show Kate the series of messages and ask her, "Wanna go bowling?"

***

When Kate and I arrive, Max is sitting outside the alley, idly smoking a cigarette. Seeing us, he puts out the cigarette and waits for us to come closer. "Did he invite you too?" I ask as we approach.

Max nods and shoves his hands into his pockets. "Yep. And the fucker isn't even here yet." He also adds, "Jules is coming too. Her friend is dropping her off in like a half hour."

At the mention of Jules, Kate tenses and narrows her eyes at Max which he completely ignores. Instead, I pivot the conversation, "I thought you quit smoking."

He frowns and turns his body away from Kate. Only so I can hear, "My dad showed up at the house."

I turn to him quickly. "What?"

Max locks his jaw and seems like doesn't want to add more even though this is some serious business if his piece of shit father is back in town. Instead he asks, "Can I stay at your place for a bit?"

"Of course. Any time."

It's been a very long time since we've had a run-in with his father and it seemed like he finally gave up and left him and his mom alone. But by how distraught Max is right now, I can tell he just needs to remove himself from the situation before he does some reckless shit. We've certainly seen how disastrous he can get.

Before I have a chance to ask him more about it, another truck pulls into the parking lot and I catch sight of my longtime friend in the passenger seat. "Here we go," Max mutters as the truck parks and the two passengers exit.

Clearly, Seth didn't warn his date that this was going to be a group activity and Seth tries to ignore the side glances in his direction. "Jonathan," Seth says as he turns to his date. "This is Maxwell, Charles, and Katherine."

Jonathan, a guy that I vaguely recognize from school being a grade or two ahead of us, looks at our small group and smiles towards us. Putting out a hand towards Max, he says, "I've heard so much about you guys. You can call me Jon."

Max takes his hand. "Max."

When I'm next, I shake his hand and shrug, "Charlie."

Kate just waves to Jon, "And I'm Kate."

Though the introductions went smoothly, Seth only seems to be freaking out more. "Let's get inside," he announces as he rushes indoors. Max and I glance at one another and then to Jon. We give him an awkward smile and just decide to head inside following our friend.

Kate takes over getting acquainted with Jon as Max and I join Seth at the cashier. On either side of him, he whispers, "Don't fucking say anything."

Max snorts and takes out his wallet. "Say what? That you're a complete dumbass?"

Seth grimaces. "It's just... I really like Jon and he seems to like me too but-"

"You can't be emotionally vulnerable with anyone yet?" Max finishes for him.