Chapter Twenty Seven - Juliet

After a very long car ride over here, the guys and I make our way up the gravel drive and already I feel out of place once again. Though I'm not that much older than the guys, I still feel old as shit as I pass endless high school seniors. Everyone says hi to the guys, sometimes in the most bro-like ways that I haven't been around since being with Michael. The pre-frat guys shove beers into our hands and already guys hit on me in the most slurred and disgusting ways.

When Charlie and Seth walk in front of us, Max gently puts a hand on my waist, a reassuring presence after he was the one to persuade me into coming here tonight. But as nice as his touch feels, we're still not a couple and we still don't want the other guys to know so Max lets go and pretends that he barely knows me.

But unlike the party where I met Max for the first time where Brooke left me almost immediately, the guys stick to my side religiously. It's probably because they always stick into their close-knit groups, but it also feels like they're my three bodyguards. We make our way into the house's dining room where all the drinks have been set up. As Charlie looks sick looking at all the liquor, Max easily reaches for the best tequila here and pours us all shots.

After downing the burning liquid, I scan the ever growing crowds and thankfully I don't notice any guys here from any of Michael's circles. Finally relaxing, I shout over the loud music and all the voices blending together, "Who wants to dance with me?"

"I will baby," I hear from my side. Turning, I'm faced with a guy who looks to be the guys' age and looks already plastered. "I have never seen you before," he says as he steps closer to me.

I barely have time to react before Max shoves between us and says in a deadly calm, "Back the fuck up, Howard."

In the meantime, Seth takes my hand to pull me back while Max deals with this Howard. "Hey I meant no harm, Torres," Howard slurs slightly. "We're all here to have fun, right?" Howard, through half closed lids, looks at our small group. "Charlie fucking Evans is here?" he laughs. "Shit, I'm honored."

As Charlie continues to look sick, Max flicks Howard's forehead. "Stop being a cunt. How much have you taken already?"

A wide grin crosses the stranger's face. "Too much, Torres. Way too fucking much." Howard suddenly wraps his arms around Charlie's and Max's shoulders and smiles wide. "Just a little reminder to you all," he smiles. "We only have two rules in this house. Get fucked and get fucked." Howard suddenly starts humping the air which has Charlie getting as far away from him as possible.

Max only seems to laugh. "I certainly plan on it," he says smugly.

Almost puking at that statement, I'm forced to be in the presence of this creep as Howard leans forward, looking at my breasts. "And if you, want a good time... I'll be waiting."

I crunch my nose up and grimace. "And you'll be waiting for a long time."

Not understanding me, Howard still winks at me and stumbles to the next unsuspecting girl. When he's gone, Charlie shudders. "God, I hate him."

My eyes flick to Max, irritation seeping out of all of my pores. "Friend of yours?"

He subtly raises a brow at me but just shrugs. "He knows how to have a good time."

Seth frowns, "But in a sleazy way."

Max smiles. "All the better."

While Max looks around the house to scope out something and while I try to stop watching him, Seth laughs suddenly. "So are we getting fucked or are we getting fucked."

Max turns back to his friend. "Now that's the spirit, buddy."

"Well as the designated driver and in a relationship," Charlie speaks up, "neither option is in my cards."