Chapter Twenty One - Juliet

Are you home?

Not yet. You?

My parents will be home soon. They want to have a talk.

Ah. Did you want to come to my place after? I'll order some takeout.

... Maybe. I'll see how I'll feel afterwards.

Alright. Text me either way.

Okay.

I sigh and try to calm my heart down before my parents see my blushing cheeks. What the hell am I doing? What are we doing? We're texting as if we're a couple and sometimes, it feels like we are. The only thing is that when we're with our friends, we act as though we're not completely smitten with one another which only makes me insane.

The other night at the diner, Max gently placed a hand on my knee when I mentioned Michael and it took everything in me to not lean against him. Thankfully no one noticed but I haven't stopped thinking about it. At how much my heart pounds when he's near. At how I always want to call or text him. At how much I want to be with him.

Fuck, how did I let it get this far?

Shoving all that down as my parents get home, I try to be more confident while being in their presence as I once was. What the fuck did Michael do to me?

Little did I know what the shit show I was about to walk into.

Standing quickly, I say, "What the hell is he doing here?"

My eyes lay on the piece of shit that I haven't seen in a month, the one who still constantly controls my life. Before Michael can even say anything, my father walks in and says, "We're going to settle this tonight."

"What don't you understand?!" I shout. "I'm not going back to him."

My mother sighs. "Just let the boy speak."

"Juliet," Michael starts.

"No!" I scream. "I won't let you gaslight me into anything anymore!"

Michael sighs. "We've been away far too long."

My hands start to shake. "Please, just let me go."

"Juliet," my father says. "Just let him say what he needs to say and then you can pass judgement."

My throat tightens. Turning to Michael, I silently beg him to let me go, silently beg him to live his life without me. Please. But my pleas never get to him. How he can look me in the eyes after being such a toxic human being and expect me to come home with him is honestly astonishing. He says all the key words he needs to keep my parents on his side and all the lovely things he used to say to have me crawling back.

But he should know how much I loathe him now. He should know how I've moved on and found happiness with my new friends. When Michael is done, I tiredly say, "I've moved on Michael, and so should you."

He looks at me as if I'm crazy. "What?"

"Aren't you tired of this? You should find a girl who actually wants you."

Frowning, "Juliet. You're the one for me."

"Michael..." I sigh. "Please."

My father clears his throat. "Why don't you two take a ride and talk this through? Maybe you can finally see eye to eye."

I cover my face with my hands. "Why are you doing this to me?" Michael steps forward to me and touches my shoulder. The second I can feel his slimy hands on my body again, I snap, "Don't ever touch me again."