Chapter Sixteen - Juliet

How desperate am I?

How could I actually take Max up on the offer to bring friends with benefits excluding the friend bit? I mean, the sex we had at the party has literally all I've been thinking about for two weeks but that's because it was my first time being with someone other than Michael. All of this is new to me and as much as I pretend to be a confident bitch, this fucking terrifies me.

After relentlessly texting him the past couple of days, sometimes getting a little dirty, other times just talking, sometimes just simply trying to organize this fucking thing, we finally have a date to fuck and now I awkwardly stand outside his house. Texting him that I'm outside, my hands shake subtly as my nerves start to kick in. This time I'll be sober and what if my memory of the night was diluted because of alcohol. What if the sex sucks this time? And this all doesn't even include the awkwardness that would follow if I continue to hang out with Charlie.

The front door suddenly swings open and some part of me was hoping he didn't live here. Maybe I'm just drawn into wealth or just fucking people in this particular neighborhood.
Max gives me a smirk as I ascend the porch steps. "Hey gorgeous," he smiles.

I roll my eyes. "Cut the crap," I snap. I don't need sweet words, I already know I'm climbing into his bed soon anyways.

Thankfully not insulted by my attitude, Max opens the door for me and I'm pleasantly surprised by how lovely the place is - though I suppose every house in this neighborhood will be nicely decorated. But based on Max's aura, it certainly doesn't feel like he lives here or comes from wealth. "Does this suit your standards?" Max asks as he joins my side.

Still looking around, I say as I cross my arms, "It'll do." Not wasting any time, Max turns to me and puts his hand on my ass and pulls me into him. Just as his lips connect to my neck, I gasp, "Wait."

Pulling away to look me in the eyes, Max blinks at me. "Is this not what you wanted?"

Not wanting to admit how scared I am of being vulnerable again with him, I conjure up my false confidence to say, "I'd like a tour first. I need to know all the fire exits and escape routes."

"In case I'm a murderer?"

I shrug. "I barely know you. You could be."

Snorting, he pulls away and points around the open concept area. "To my right is the kitchen. That hallway over there goes to our mud room and the garage. To my left is the living room and dining room. All the windows are locked but if you are in a hurry they open up pretty smoothly, just in case I am a murderer."

He starts walking forward, forcing me to follow him. Max points to his left to a staircase and says, "This goes upstairs. My mom's room is up there and her office is up there as well. If you need to escape, I wouldn't go up there if I were you." As we stroll down the hallway, he points to a door that goes downstairs and a small bathroom with no windows, a fact that I both noticed and he pointed out.

When we reach the end of the hallway, he smiles as he lets me in. "And this is my room."

Blinking, I look around the room to find that I'm surprised this is a teenage boy's room. It's extremely tidy and fucking huge which makes me think that this was originally the master bedroom, especially since I can see a walk-in closet and a full sized bathroom attached. But even with my shock, it also seems like this is his room based on the small details alone.

Turning, I find Max quietly watching me and when those golden eyes lock onto mine, my heart starts racing again. "If you don't want to do this, we don't have to," he says.

How the fuck he knew my thoughts, I have no idea, but now I'm forced to admit, "I just got out of a relationship."

"So?"

"This is new to me. All of this."

He sighs. "Juliet, I meant what I said. If you don't want-"

"But I do want this," I interrupt. My hands start shaking once again. "I can't feel nervous?"

Something in his demeanor changes and he steps a little closer to me. "Of course you can feel nervous, but you should also not jump into something if you're not ready." Now almost touching, he whispers, "I don't want you to regret any of this."

Regret.

There's a lot of things in my life that I already regret like wasting so much of my time and energy on someone who never really appreciated me. I regret not getting out of that toxic relationship sooner. I regret letting Michael touch me the way he did. I regret not standing up to my parents after I knew how much they wanted this marriage to go through. I regret so much more and I'll certainly regret a lot in the future.

But right now... I won't regret this.

"If I deem this too much, both the sex and the friends-with-benefits thing," I say slowly, "you'll stop?"

Max nods. "Of course." Taking one more step, he resumes his previous position and runs a hand through my hair. "Is that a yes, Juliet?"

With my heart pounding against my chest, I nod.

"Yes."

***

"How was your little rendezvous?" Brooke asks the second I walk into her apartment.

With my cheeks still flushed, I flip her off as I head straight to the bathroom. Hearing her cackle, I shut the door quickly and sit on the toilet, my mind still with Max.

I'm so fucked if sex with him is gonna be that good every time.

Fuck, fuck, fuuuuuck.