Chapter Five - Juliet

Staring at a bowl of fruit doesn't seem that fun, but when your parents are screaming at you because of your behavior, the act suddenly seems interesting. For the past five minutes, the assorted fruits have become my companions while my father and mother continuously nag at me about Michael. Who gives a shit about Michael? Do they know that I'm their child?

"Don't you know the consequences of your acting out?"

"What will they think of us now?"

"I hope Michael is not rethinking this marriage."

"I wonder if they'll forgive us."

"I can't believe you!"

I just sit there and question my existence. Am I truly here? Is this real? Are they real? Am I? "You're acting like I'm Satan," I say loudly. My mother turns to me.

"We're in a very difficult situation because of you!"

"Oh please, I'll just apologize and everything will go back to normal."

"When has that ever worked?"

I turn to my mother now. "Like every time. No one can deny the puppy eyes." My mother rolls her eyes and my father just huffs. "You guys are drama queens."

"Juliet. Please, for once, think about consequences for everyone."

I'm getting furious. "It's so nice to see my parents so concerned about my wellbeing. I mean, Michael physically hurt me and emotionally abused me but that doesn't matter because it hurts a business deal."

My father looks to my mother and sighs. "I'm sorry you feel that way."

"I feel a but coming."

"But this deal effects all of us, you included."

"I don't care about money! I care about not fearing for my life!"

"Money is everything! How naïve are you?!" my father yells. "Everything is based around money, Juliet. Everything. I mean, look where you live!" I feel my face redden. This sudden act of honesty from my father is something that I never expected. I just pout and cross my arms in response.

"I am upset," I say slowly. "And I'm angry. I'm tired and I'm scared." They both calm down a little bit but still have judging eyes. "Someone, who I used to love hurt me. Michael hurt me. And you two don't care."

"Juliet-"

"No!" I interrupt. "Michael hurt me." I stand and silently say goodbye to the fruit. I turn to my parents once again. "I will apologize to his parents for leaving early as soon as I remember their address. But I will not apologize for defending myself."

***

I start walking towards Brooke's house when I remember that all my things are still at my apartment. Why does the world punish me this way? Now I have to grace the little bitch with my graced presence. I change directions and walk slowly to the apartment.

A good hour passes and I finally arrive. Taking a deep breath, I enter the premises of the front lobby and up two flights of stairs to come to apartment number 6. Man I can already smell his hatred. "Honey I'm home!" I yell as I enter the room. Michael is sitting on the couch, looking like he knew I'd be back. He just stares at me and I smile. "I'm taking the kids and leaving you!" I announce as I head toward the bedroom.

"Juliet," he calls out.

"Little Henry and Charlotte, where are you?!" I call out to my imaginary children. "Daddy is a bad, bad man!"