Chapter Forty Seven - Juliet

Charlie arrives at my house right on time.

For two days, Max and I have barely spoken, this tiff between us is driving me insane. If he won't step up by being my date or won't explain himself better, then fuck him. I'll just go with one of my best friends instead.

I run out of the house, my heels in my hands as I wouldn't be stupid enough to walk through the snow with them one and curse myself for buying this dress in winter. In my defense, it is my cousin's fault for postponing her wedding from a lovely summer day to a fucking cold January Saturday. When I bought the dress, I was still with Michael with his stupid engagement ring on my finger.

But forgetting that tiny little fact, I jump into Charlie's truck and smile. "Let's go," he says as he pulls out of the driveway. The whole ride up the St. Croix River, Charlie and I sing along to old '80s rock he has stashed away in this grungy truck, barely talking about the events leading up to this wedding. I just have to remind myself that my boyfriend is not here and instead being a stickler at home.

After a quick ceremony in a very lovely church by the river, my entire family and the groom's family heads to the grandest hotel in town and wait for the reception to start. After we check in our coats, I can finally dress in my heels and now my summer look is complete. In a light yellow sundress, the top has a corset with visible boning and cups my breasts to perfection. But, as cute as I am, I'm also fucking cold.

I finally turn to Charlie who hasn't really spoken since the wedding occurred and I finally get to see his own fashion sense. Usually in some sporting gear or in casual wear, seeing him in a suit is kind of jarring. In a brown suit and an off-white dress shirt, Charlie actually looks... dashing. Whoever claims him in the future will be a lucky woman.

I finally loop my arm through Charlie's. As he gets over being a complete stranger here - and I suppose the only one here that doesn't come from money - I lead him over to the seating chart. I point out all my relatives on the chart and who he should avoid and who to converse with. "She'll eat you alive," I say as I describe Aunt Marigold, Goldie for short. "She loves quirky younger men."

I don't miss Charlie's cheeks reddening. "I'm quirky?" he asks after he controls himself.

Smiling, I continue to elaborate on my family when someone taps my shoulder. "Julie, this is not the Michael I remember!" I turn to meet with my Aunt Annie.

My smile fades. "Michael was an ass. Charlie isn't." Annie's eyes study Charlie for a moment as he politely introduces himself. I can see that she's already thinking I'm a slut for moving on too quickly from Michael. "He's just a friend, Annie," I snap. Besides, she doesn't need to know that the boy I'm actually fucking decided he's too good to be my guest.

Charlie blinks as he figures out why I said that and Annie gives me her fake smile. "Well I hope you two have fun tonight. I'll talk to you soon."

It takes Charlie a few more moments before he turns to me wide eyed. I laugh at the expression. "It's going to be a long night," I say to him as I escort him to our assigned seating. There, my parents have already assembled and glare at me with my date. "Charlie, these are my parents," I say quickly and sit down.

Charlie still stands and blinks at them nervously. "Pleasure to meet your acquaintances," he says with a smile while holding out his hand to my father. "I'm Charlie."

Though my dad shakes his hand, I notice the ice in his eyes. "How long have you been dating?" he asks Charlie and I immediately groan.

Charlie's cheeks flush. "Oh. We're not dating, sir. Just friends."

God, I wonder what Max's reaction would have been. Maybe some obscene gestures? My father seems genuinely surprised that I'm not fucking Charlie. "Charlie is the one who recused me after Michael abused me," I say as I reach for my mother's champagne.