Chapter Twenty - Charlie

The five of us squeeze into the rounded booth, poor Jules being seated next to Max. I'm happy that Jules has found comfort in our friend group and I'm happy that she's been accepted. Kate sometimes seems to be uncomfortable around Jules but Jules never is hurt by Kate's dismissal. Life feels complete.

As Max and Seth argue for the thousandth time in their lives, Kate just leans into me and places her hand on my thigh. "Do they ever shut up?" she mutters and thankfully the guys didn't hear her.

"The answer is no," Jules laughs.

I roll my eyes, "They shut up when you bring up topics they don't like."

Jules' eyes light up. "Enlighten me."

I smile, "They hate talking about politics."

"Who doesn't?"

"Politicians and the debate team," Max grumbles as he overhears us.

"I'm on the debate team," Kate frowns.

Seth and Max share a glare and I can tell they're going to talk shit any second now. Maybe sensing this, Jules says, "We can talk about how it's been one month since Charlie saved my ass."

"I wouldn't call it saving you," I chime in.

Jules shrugs and takes a fry from the center of our table. "It certainly felt like it."

Seth leans in, "Have you heard from the bastard?"

She shrugs again. "The bastard occasionally texts me. Sometimes to say we should meet up, sometimes to say I left some things back at our apartment."

Max turns to Jules and in the most genuine voice I've ever heard him give, he says, "Sorry you have to deal with that."

Jules stares at him for a moment before turning to the rest of us, "Well let's focus on the good. I gained four friends since then."

Seth slams his fist on the table, garnering glares in our direction. "Here, here!" he exclaims. "Let's drink to that!"

"We're underaged and it's a Tuesday," I say.

Seth pouts. "We can drink our water, you asshole," he mutters. Though Kate is hesitant, we all clink glasses and I do not miss Jules smiling as if she'd never smile again.

***

After dinner, we all take a walk down by a river before we have to head back and along the way, Kate leans into me and sighs. As the three walk up ahead, Kate and I slow. Nudging her, I ask, "Is something wrong?"

She shrugs and motions up ahead. "Do you think that there's something between them?"

I blink at her. "Who?"

Without hesitation, "Juliet and Max."

I almost burst out laughing. "Jules and Max? Are you kidding?"

She frowns. "They're always together. And did you see the way he looked at her tonight?"

The way he did look at her was weird but that was to show support for her. I mean, Seth and I were moments away from voicing the same thing. "That was nothing. And besides, I hang out with her just as much as Max, if not more."

Kate pulls away and crosses her arms over her chest. "But you're Charlie. And he's Max. You two are very different from one another."

I blink at her again. "That doesn't mean that there's something there."

Kate's jaw locks and genuinely looks pissed at me. "Fine," she says tautly and walks to join the others again. Reluctantly following her, we walk up to find Max and Seth wrestling with Jules calmly watching. "What are they fighting about?" I ask Jules as we just watch them.

"Honestly no idea," Jules laughs.

"Okay, dipshits!" I yell at them. "Let's go home."

They immediately rise but Max takes one last chance to shove Seth. Seth falls on the ground and just bursts out laughing. "Okay, now I'm good," Max smiles.

"You guys are dipshits," Jules says as she rolls her eyes.

"Now you're catching on, sweet cheeks," Max drawls to her.

Jules groans and rolls her eyes. "And you're a pig."

I look to Kate and try not to seem smug. There's no way that those two have a thing for one another. "Let's go," I whine.

Seth quickly rises and says, "Just so we're all aware, I was right and Max is just a dumbass."

Max shoves Seth again causing him to fall to the ground again. The two of them laugh their asses off as we head back, their fight a complete mystery to everyone. On our way to the car, I can't help but think about what Kate said despite no true evidence. They wouldn't... would they?