Chapter Ten - Charlie

Kate immediately frowns as we get out of my truck after seeing so many people jammed into the farmhouse. She really frowns when she gets a whiff of the place. Max and Seth are both getting antsy for very different reasons. Max just wants to get into Jessica's pants while Seth is excited just to be at a party, experiencing life or whatever he wants to do this year. I had only asked Kate to join because today is my birthday and I didn't want her to feel excluded from my life, though I know she's hating being here right now.

I kiss the top of her head to silently thank her for being here with me and she squeezes my hand to let me know that she's here for me. "Let's go, fuckers," Max says as he walks ahead of us, not waiting for us to join him. He usually does his own shit during parties and will meet up with us later.

But Seth stays by my side as I follow Max inside Jessica's farmhouse. Half of the senior class is here by the looks of it, including people I recognize that graduated last year. Scanning the layout, there's so many people here that it's hard to breathe. "Let's get a drink!" Seth shouts over the commotion. Agreeing, we shove our way to the backyard where people are surrounding a campfire with at least two kegs set up.

Kate frowns as people shove beer into our hands and I give her a small smile as if to say we'll get through this. Standing in a small circle, we all take our red solo cups and raise a toast to one another. Taking the plunge, we don the warming beer and I make a face afterwards. "Fucking terrible," I say as I've always hated the taste of beer. "Like piss."

"Piss tastes better," Seth says as he scans the backyard. "Hey there's Tara." Kate and I turn to see Tara laughing with her girlfriend on a tire swing nearby. Tara and Seth used to date back in middle school but both quickly realized that they were much better as friends. Besides, Tara came out of the closet freshman year while Seth came out as bi just last year. Seth would never want to admit it, but he's still too scared to be physical with any guy so he's only publicly dated girls before but he's certainly expressed interest in men over the years.

We wave Tara over as we're still good friends with her and she smiles with her chipped tooth in front. Tara tripped and fell on the concrete steps outside of our elementary school when we were ten and though her parents are dentists, she says it builds character that there's a small chip in it. "Hello boys and hello Kate," she smiles and throws an arm over Seth's shoulder though he's nearly a foot taller than her. "And happy birthday Charlie," she nods in my direction.

"Thanks Tara."

"So what does it feel like to be an official adult?" Tara asks just as Seth puts his arm around her. "And where's our little firecracker? I want to wish him a happy birthday as well."

"The fucker is inside," Seth answers.

"And being eighteen is nothing special," I add. "I was the same as I was yesterday."

"Bummer," Tara frowns.

Seth laughs. "I can't believe my little boy is growing up!"

"I'm older than you," I sigh.

"Doesn't matter!" he cries dramatically. "You're still my precious boy!" Seth lets go of Tara to come at my side to press a sloppy kiss on my cheek. As I squirm underneath him, he finally pulls away and declares, "I love you Charlie Evans!"

Snorting, I shove his head away. "Yeah, I love you too, jackass."

Tara rolls her eyes at our bromance and declares, "Fun catching up with you guys. I'll see you lovebirds later."

As she stalks off, I find Kate frowning. Again. "What?" I ask her as Seth grabs more drinks for us.

She shrugs. "Nothing," Kate says quietly.