128. Day Eight

This chapter is dedicated to Lonewulf, with thanks for all of your support.

I woke up early, to no sound but the whisper of the sea in the distance. When I'd gone to sleep, it had been to the sound of a computer voice reading out fanfiction; the monotone that Lindy found so helpful for getting to sleep. I barely remembered a few details of what this particular story had been about, but my dreams had been filled with vampires hunting cowboys; or possibly some sheriff hunting vampires. Whatever that story had been, it had sneaked into my mind as I was drifting off to sleep.

I knew that today was different. Not just because we were both babies, or because Hugo was here to help take care of us. But because the adults had been packing up bags and boxes after we went to bed last night, because we would be setting off early. We would be at Gresham Wold for lunch, and home some time this afternoon. And, perhaps the biggest change in routine, I'd probably spend tomorrow making sure that I had everything I needed for the new school year. After more than a month of long summer days with little work, it was hard to believe that we would be back to the grind.

And when I thought about that, it reminded me about the other big difference. There wouldn't be a week of bitter jealousy this time, as my school and Lindy's called us back on different dates. We were at the same school now; and I would have to protect my little sister if she came in the sights of any bullies or whatever. That kind of responsibility was a little bit scary, but I knew that she was unlikely to have any real problems that I could help with. Still, it made me realise that if I ever had to step up to protect her, or to fix some problem, I would probably be craving being babied at the end of the day. Sure, I could act responsible when I needed to. I'd done that for Nadine, Harper, and the others enough times. I could be the responsible adult and make sure that problems were solved. But I didn't want to, and the more responsibilities I took on the more I had longed for something I didn't even have a name for.

"You can bully me," I said, and gave a little laugh.

"Huh?" Lindy asked, and it was only then that I realised she had been close enough to hear me.

"I just thought... ugh, it's weird."

"Talking to yourself?" she said. "I thought for a minute you're giving me permission for bullying."

"No!" I said, and then thought about it a little. "Well, yes. I guess. It's like I'm always the adult, right? No, not at home, but... my friends? I'm the one who sorts out problems, or tells Nadine when she's going to get herself in trouble, or whatever. I mean... I can play, but when something needs a mature response, I'm the one who does it. And it always kind of burned me out. But I think what you did... forcing me to act like a baby, acting like I can't be trusted with any responsibility... Maybe it's just what I needed. I know it's weird, but..."

I took a deep breath, thinking hard about this. But if I had the courage to say it in this moment, when I was still half asleep, maybe that was a good thing.

"I'm going to tell Hugo he can babysit for me whenever he wants. Say the special words for the hypnosis, you know? He's ... Well, I don't need to say. But this is different. If I've been acting like the adult in the room and doing all the responsibility for my friends, when I start to feel burned out... you can pick on me and force me to be a baby."

"I never thought you'd be stuff like that," she said with a shrug, and stumbled out of bed.

"Like what?" I asked, feeling completely startled by a response I'd never expected. "Stuff?"

"I mean... It's nothing. It's just like you've always been the one in charge. I kind of guessed that's what you wanted, and I never thought you'd even know about... like... teen baby stuff, or anything like that. I thought you'd be super against it."