Chapter 1: Sinister As It Already Is

You have heard of fairy tales. Myths and legends. Things that are told don't exist in this world. Things that aren't real. The catch?

They are real.

Realer than you think.

And Wren Carezby knew it the day she saw it all with her own two eyes.

Wren had lived with her uncle all her life, as long as she could remember. They lived in London, Caveshield Cottage. Her uncle was in his mid-30s, and he had quite an amount of tattoos - a wolf tattoo on his arm and a flower on his neck. He worked for long hours in the travel agency and had an amount of hobbies unlike Wren; for example, fishing and roasting air conditioner companies whenever he found that one of their electronics weren't working.

Wren had never actually bothered asking about what happened to her parents, until one day when her uncle picked her up from school, she asked that very question.

'Why, you've never asked that question before,' her uncle said, raising an arched eyebrow as he looked at her in the rearview mirror. She had been sitting at the back of the car, arms folded. She was nine then. 'What made you ask that?'

Wren sighed. 'Everyone in class calls me a freak! They asked me if you were my dad. I said no. And they asked "Who is he?" and of course, I based my answer on the truth. I said you were my uncle. Then they laughed, like it was something so funny and started asking dumb questions like, "What happened to your mommy?" Wren imitated their voices.

There was a short silence. Her uncle let out a slight sigh and said, 'Look, they're just kids. They do dumb stuff. But you're not dumb, Wren. You don't take notice of them. So what you're gonna do is ignore them. Everytime they make a comment on your parents. Eana wouldn't -' he stopped himself, as if realising he had just made a mistake. Wren didn't let go of him so easily.

'Who's Eana?' she said coldly.

Her uncle stiffened. 'Look, just - just ignore the kids in school, alright? Move on with your own life.'

He was avoiding the question Wren had made. All she did was scowl as her uncle parked the car in the garage. 'We're here. Help me unload the groceries.'

Wren had never talked about her parents ever since then. She felt as if she didn't want to know what happened. Everytime she talked about other people's parents, or just said the word parents, her uncle would stiffen.

And Wren had always noticed the way he stiffened. The way his shoulders jabbed back. The way his face fell. And she never forgot the time he'd mentioned Eana, whoever he or she was. Whatever it was. 

If going to school and eating ice-cream and having the condition of heterochromia was labelled under average, Wren was just an average teenager of fourteen. She liked reading, doing quiet activities and wasn't a fan of socialising, however hard her uncle persisted her to go out and make friends for a change.

But if having two uneven-coloured eyes, one red and the other green, that glowed whenever she got angry or excited or felt any strong emotion was labelled under not average, then Wren wasn't average.

The fact that her eyes glowed into a saturated colour whenever she felt strong emotions ... it was disturbing. She knew this didn't happen to average people with heterochromia. Apparently, her uncle couldn't find an answer to why this happened to her, nor could an eye doctor.

Wren was convinced she was perfectly normal.

                                                                            ⋆‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾  ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙⋆