Chapter 27 - Iridia

Ladislaya zipped up Wren's dress. 'Gorgeous,' she announced. 'Splendid. The flair of a princess.'

'It's tight,' Wren said, trying to breathe in her dress. 'God, it's uncomfortable. I can hardly breathe in this thing.

'You'll get used to it,' Ladislaya said, patting her on the shoulder. 'But in the meantime, just live in the moment.'

Wren raised an eyebrow. 'Live in the moment of what?'

At that moment, Rafe hurled himself out of the bathroom dressed in a light beige coat half tucked into his trousers. Wren caught a glimpse of him in Ladislaya's hand mirror.

'You're actually going to the ball in that?' she asked. 'Not judging,' she added hastily.

'Yeah I am,' Rafe said, looking down at his outfit. 'Nothing wrong with it, I hope?'

The door to the bathroom opened and Jake came out, stepping beside Rafe in a frilly black and white suit, looking disgruntled.

'I look like a tortoise who gave up on himself,' he said.

'Don't worry about it, it's just a matter of time,' Ladislaya said. 'Anyway, we're all going, so you don't have to worry about people staring at you.'

Jake plucked a frill from his tie. 'It's frilly, and it's got ruffles!' He turned to Rafe, as if realising he was just there. 'You're going in that?' he asked in bewilderment.

'I don't have a suit, mate,' Rafe said.

'Anything's better than this,' Jake said, scowling at his own suit. 'Why couldn't I get a proper suit?'

'Because we couldn't find one in the closet, remember?' Wren said obligingly. 'Quit whining. It'll just be a few hours in the ball, no more. We'll be in to find the mirror or any clues if there is, and we'll be out.'

They'd let Rafe in on their plan. So far, he knew everything about Nicaea Valdis and what Wren, Jake and Ladislaya wanted to do at the ball.

'Are you sure about this though Carrots?' Ladislaya whispered in Wren's ear anxiously as they departed for the ball. They were at the back of a cab.

'About going to the ball and risking our lives there? Yeah, pretty much am,' Wren said. 'Hopefully.'

'No, I mean - telling Rafe all this stuff about - well, everything.'

Wren didn't say anything for a while. The truth was, she didn't know Rafe enough to trust him, but what other choice did she have? Besides, they already had told Rafe everything so the damage was done.

They arrived at the front gates of the Palace of Iridia. Wren's heart began hammering in her chest wildly. Lights brightened up the palace grounds and the entire palace was slightly bigger than Argonian's. The crowd swarmed around them as they made their way to the palace entrance.

'Must be an Iridian ball,' Rafe said thoughtfully.

'What's that supposed to mean?' Wren asked.

'All Iridians are invited to the ball,' he told her.

'So are we allowed to be here?'

'Never thought about it,' Rafe said, surfing his way through the crowd. 'Perhaps. Just keep a low profile and you'll be fine.'

They approached a plump-looking guard at the entrance of the palace who was chewing on gum. He turned to them abruptly. 'Name?'

'Rafe Blackthorne,' Rafe said pleasantly.