Chapter 28 - Less Suspicious

'I'm not sure this is even allowed,' Jake said, as they surfed through the crowd. 'See any sign of Fenwick?'

'That dude,' Wren said groggily. 'I almost forgot about him.'

'You know you almost killed him,' Ladislaya informed. Wren shrugged. 'Good point. If you see him anywhere, try to ignore him.'

'Shit - shut up!' hissed Jake. Wren looked at him in bewilderment. He jerked his head slightly behind them where Rafe was. Wren immeidately turned around to face anything but Rafe. 'He isn't here.'

'Just behind us,' Jake said, turning around. 'Hey - he's gone!'

Wren breathed out an breath. 'That's good.'

'Why?' Ladislaya asked curiously.

'We were just talking about how I accidentally killed an Iridian man who works in the Palace, Ladislaya. What'd you think Rafe would have to say to that?'

'Good point,' Jake said vaguely. 'Better be careful around Rafe even though he's on our side.'

'Is he though?' Ladislaya said, subdued.

Wren didn't want to think much about Rafe. She shifted along the mass of people in the crowd. Besides, if Rafe really wasn't on their side, it was too late to do anything now.

As if on cue, Rafe appeared beside them, holding a muffin. 'Hey,' he said, mouth full, 'sorry, I went to the toilet for a bit -'

'Where did you get that muffin?' Jake asked in amazement, staring in wonder at the muffin Rafe was holding. Rafe pointed towards an aisle down the street and the two boys jogged down together. Wren sighed.

'We should sit down,' Ladislaya suggested. They both sunk into a couch beside a dessert tower.

'So where d'you plan to head to later on?' Ladislaya asked inquisitively. 'Finding that Soulstone in the palace?'

Wren picked up a glass of cocktail off a tray from a passing waiter's tray. 'Here's the thing,' she said, lowering her voice. 'I don't expect us to sneak around the palace unknowingly. I plan to gather some information first. Know the palace layout, any potential guards of magical defenses, use them to track down the Soulstone. We make a list of possibilities where it could be.'

'That'll be a long list,' Ladislaya remarked. 'But it's a smart move. We don't want to end up in a dungeon or something ... worse.'

'Exactly. We understand our surroundings, everything.'

'And risk ourselves being seen?' Jake and Rafe had appeared with muffins for everyone. Jake handed her one. 'It's blueberry,' he informed her.

'Thanks,' Wren said.

'As I was saying,' Jake said, mouth full of blueberry muffin, 'how are we going to "understand our surroundings" by sneaking around the castle and risk ourselves being seen?'

'Exactly,' Wren said, slapping her knee.

Jake made a questioning face.

Wren made one back. 'We sneak around the castle and risk ourselves being seen,' she repeated, making sure to keep her voice low.

Jake looked at her incredulously. 'Are you serious right now?'

'Does it look like I'm joking?'

'No, it doesn't.'

'Exactly. We don't have any other choice, Mr Don't-Want-To-Risk-Yourself. If you've got a better plan, I'd be glad to hear you out.'

When Jake slumped down into the couch next to them, saying nothing, Wren stood up, stuffing the rest of her muffin into her mouth. 'I'll start North. Jake, East. Ladislaya, South. Rafe -'

'West, I presume?' Rafe said airily.

Wren clicked her fingers. 'Exactly. Now, we're all risking ourselves to be seen but still, try not to be seen. Seep around in the shadows, and if someone asks, say you're a butler or something.'

'A butler?' Jake said, wrinkling his nose.

'Yes, a butler.' Stupid as it sounded, it would have to do for now. 'Come on. We split up, and if there's anything suspicious -'

'Follow,' Jake interjected. Wren smiled slightly.

'You know it.'