Chapter 41 - The High King's Arrival

Wren looked at herself in the mirror. She'd been in Argonian for almost a year, and some things still never change. She was not used to seeing her royal self in the mirror. Pink was smeared across her cheeks and lips. Bits of gold were flecked on her lips. A dazzling shade of eyeshadow sat on her eyelid obediently. Clipped-on earrings the shape of a feather dangled from her earlobes, and several dainty necklaces and chains hung from her neck. Wren lifted both her hands up as the maid who was attending to her, Bridget, put rings on her fingers.

'You're done,' Bridget told her. Bridget had been assigned her personal servant ever since day one. Wren smiled at her in the mirror. 'Thanks.'

'Good luck! I can't believe the High King's visiting,' Bridget said, smiling at Wren as she slid out of the room. Wren watched her long blonde hair fly after her out of sight.

'He's probably here to see Odyssey,' she muttered, fiddling with the earring on her right ear as she left.

Odyssey was already ready, standing at the end of the Entrance Hall. Wren took her place next to her, tripping over her gown. She could've sworn Odyssey winced just a little. Wren hurried to stand next to her.

Back straight. Natural smile. Eyes wide open. She knew the drill.

The doors opened after two or three minutes. In walked two guards in silver armour. Wren frowned, then quickly adjusted her face. How depressing it is to greet visitors this way, she thought, remembering whenever her Uncle Hunter had visitors, he would be wearing his floral blue beach shirt and chilling on the couch with a few chips on the tabletop, and Wren could be in a mess and in any position. Wren's mind drifted off to her uncle and woke up when Odyssey nudged her lightly.

In walked Nathaniel Daeyl, his golden crown sitting unevenly on his ruffled midnight hair and shining in the sunlight. He looked as carefree as ever; a playful smile playing on his lips slightly. He wore an all-black suit with golden buttons and chains.

Still as nonchalant and blithe as ever, Wren thought. She straightened her back suddenly. This wa sthe part where they curtsied.

She and her sister did. Nathaniel did a half-bow, more like a tilt with his head. The Argonian and Iridian guards left in sync, standing at the other end of the room.

'Your Highness,' Odyssey said.

'Your Highness,' Wren said.

'Queen Odyssey,' Nathaniel said in his drawling voice. 'And Princess Wren, of course.'

Wren gave a tight smile. No, natural, she reminded herself sternly.

'May I know what you require from Argonian, my Lord?' Odyssey said, mustering her most ladylike, royalty-iest tone.

'Ah,' Nathaniel said. 'There's a catch. I didn't come here to seek Argonian's help. Specifically, I wanted to talk to Princess Wren here.'

Wren's eyes widened. Odyssey didn't flinch.

'Of course. Word in private?'

'No, no, it's necessary you are here as well,' the High King said. 'I will first make matters with the princess here.'

Odyssey took a step back. 'Of course, my Lord.'

If the two of them were alone, Wren wouldn't be so high and formal with him. But since she was in the Hall of the Palace, she tilted her head at the High King, saying, 'Your Highness.'

Creases appeared on Nathaniel's forehead. 'I don't remember when you were so formal with me the last time we met,' he chuckled.

Odyssey choked. Wren grimaced. Yup, she hand't told Odyssey about her and the High King's encounter. Nathaniel looked concerned.