Chapter 9 - A Woe so Deep

The thunder crackled through the sky, sending loud, thunderous booms and crashes through the sky. Even though it was only 6pm, the sky looked dark and lonely.

Wren stared out of her window, watching the rain trickle down the window aggressively.The wind howled outside, sending the trees spinning in slow circles.

There was a knock on her door. 'Door's open!' she called. The door opened and there stood her sister, frowning. She held up a note. 'Wren, I found this note on the table downstairs yesterday. Does this have something to do with the Faerie Queen?'

'No!' shouted Wren.

Odyssey held the note higher above her.

'What is it, then?'

'It's a - a trick note,' Wren s aid desperately. Her sister could not know about the Faerie Queen. 'I-I was bored last night. I thought I could stir things - I meant, make things more interesting with that trick note - but I understand that it's a deceitful thing to do, and as a princess, I -'

'Alright, Wren, alright,' Odyssey said crisply. She folded it up and pocketed it. 'But why the Faerie Queen, Wren? What do you know of her?'

'I came across her in a library book,' Wren said, tounge-tied.

Odyssey exhaled. 'You do understand the Faerie Queen is extremely dangerous. She's not someone you can put her in a play with. She's not a toy, Wren. That woman is wicked!' she tutted under her breath. 'Never,' she added on afterthought, 'repeat this behaviour ever again. Play tricks and pranks all you like, but don't bring the Faerie Queen into this.'

Wren felt stiff as she nodded.

'Good,' Odyssey said, and slid away gracefully. Wren exhaled inwardly. Let her sister think how disobedient she was - she didn't care. As long as Odyssey remained clueless and suspected nothing.

She threw her cloak on and slung her stachel across her shoulder. She'd planned on meeting Jake and Ladislaya in the school library to catch up on some homework. She put on her boots and strode out of the Palace.

She made her way to the Academy. Aurora had showed up to school that day - and, according to Wren's observation - she'd been avoiding she, Jake and Ladislaya completely. She hardly talked to anyone today - not even Kai, Duncan and Estella.

When Wren reached the South Wing, she turned to her left, where the South Wing library was. They'd arranged to meet in the South Wing library, for it was closest to the school entrance. She closed her hand upon the doorknob of the library, the coldness of the metal surging through her palm ... and then it wasn't metal.

It was a blade. Cutting into her skin deeply. It was hurting her, injuring her; the blade cut through uneasily. It seeped through her hand and took over her mind, consuming her thoughts with nothing but blank space. And then -

An invisible hand grasped her, causing her to scream inwardly. A blinding flash of light took over her, going away as fast as it came. A vision erupted - blackness, darkness filling her mind, images cutting through - from one scene to the other.

A rose with falling petals - shadowy figures cloaked in black robes, glinting in the darkness - a dagger - a crown -

Unconcious.

Dark.

Gone.

⋆‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾  ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙⋆

'Hello, Wren.'

Wren opened her eyes, feeling dizzy. Her mind was reeling - half-concious. She got up, finding herself on the floor. Resting herself on her arm, she looked up, blinking.