Chapter 31 - Court of Eternal Arcana

The Court towered over them, looking much like a palace. Intricate carvings adorned the walls, shimmering it with an otherworldly luminescence. Tall, ethereal spires reach skyward, and it looked like both a dungeon and a palace at the same time.

It had the touch of royal flair.

Two wolves in armour stood guarding the black, massive doors of the Court, standing on two feet. They looked ferocious and glared at Wren like she'd done something wrong.

'I want,' she spoke, trying to speak clearly, 'to go in.'

'What reason?' growled the first wolf. Wren took a step back.

'We want to meet the High King,' she said without hesitation.

'Oh, a lot of people want to meet the High King,' said the other wolf brusquely. 'You think you're the only one wanting to fangirl over the High King, do ya?'

'We caught one young woman tryna sneak into the Court,' barked the first.

'Caught her good and out, we did,' said the other. He turned back to Wren, baring his teeth. 'No valid reason. Out.'

'I'm the royal princess of Argonian,' Wren persisted. 'Heiress to the throne.'

'Do I care? No I don't,' snarled the wolf. 'Now get out before I chase you out.'

'I'm the lost princess,' Wren tried again, taking another step back. She heard a rustle from the bushes, indicating Ladislaya and Jake, where they were hiding. The three had decided it was best for Wren to go alone.

'The lost princess. From Argonian? You must have heard of me,' Wren said, truly petrified now. 'I just want to speak with the High King and I promise I'm not here to mess around.'

'If you really are the lost princess,' barked one of the wolves, 'where's your crown?'

Wren blinked. 'My - my crown?'

'Yes, your crown,' spat the other wolf. 'True royals wear their crown wherever they go. Prove that you're a royal or you're dead meat!' he roared, spraying spit over Wren. Wren flinched and took another step back.

'Look, I don't wear my crown everywhere I go -' she racked her brains to think of another proof. 'Hey! You know the Dark Witch? She's after me, and I know that.'

'The whole world knows the Dark Witch's after that lost princess, Wren Carezby,' hissed the wolf.

'Yeah, that's me,' Wren said, a twang of irritation. 'Wren Eloria Carezby, sister to Queen Odyssey of Argonian and heiress to the throne. Can you just let me in?'

'No!' spat the wolf.

Wren had the greatest desire to glare at the wolf but that was probably suicide. Instead, she took a deep breath and said, 'Tell me how else to prove I'm a royal other than wearing my crown because unfortunately, I don't have it with me now.'

The wolves bent down so they were level to her face. Cautiously, she took another step back.

'Don't move,' one of them ordered. Wren stayed still.

He drew a short, sharp knife from his armour. Wren swallowed, fighting the urge to turn and run but her feet stayed rooted.

'We'll need your blood.'

'I'd prefer to live,' Wren said shakily.

'Hold out your hand!' roared the other. Spontaneously, Wren held out her right arm, closing her eyes.

She felt the blade plunge into her skin and a wave of pain shot through her. It was a rising crescendo on a piano, gradually getting louder but never loud enough. The pain slammed into her hand like a giant tornado, making her dizzy, faint - she swayed on the spot slightly. Suddenly, the blade withdrew from the palm of her hand. Sharp pain had no mercy on her; it continued like a fatal wave.