Chapter 33 - The Veil Opens

'Wow,' Jake said, baffled. 'So how many brothers did he have?'

Wren had just finished relating the night's tales to Jake and Ladislaya. It was three in the morning and of all questions, Jake chose to ask this one.

'So where's the enchantment?' asked Ladislaya.

'It's right here,' Wren said, fumbling in her satchel and extracting the slip of parchment. 'Written in the Pure Tongue. Nathaniel said to speak it clearly, and you all know I suck at the Pure Tongue, so one of you's gotta do it.'

'Gotta be Ladislaya, I failed my language two times in a row,' Jake said. 'Not proud.'

Ladislaya took the piece of parchment. 'Vindis et cortha raielm eiqazlah?' she said. 'That means "awaken the realm's veil" right?'

'That's what he said,' Wren said, now fishing out the mirror. 'Okay. Last step is to get my blood and drip it into the mirror.'

Ladislaya let out an audible gasp and Jake looked baffled.

'Did the wolves tell you to do that?'

'No, it's just part of the process. Nathaniel told me to do it, or else the enchantment won't work and the portal won't open. This is the only way.'

Closing her eyes tightly, she drew out the short, sharp dagger Nathaniel had handed her. She wanted to do it fast. She wanted it done fast like a bolt of lightning. Angling the blade of the dagger on her forearm and sliced out a part of her skin.

She felt the familiar urge of pain washing through her, but this time, it was less painful, less powerful. Holding her forearm over the mirror, blood dripped into the watery waves, absorbing it.

'Okay,' Wren said, stepping back and feeling slightly dizzy. 'Try it.'

Ladislaya cleared her throat and read from the pice of parchment loud and clear, 'Vindis et cortha raielm eiqazlah.'

They waited for a few moments - nothing happened. The calm waves of the surface of the mirror remained wavering the surface. Ladislaya glanced at Wren anxiously.

'Are we missing a step?'

'I don't think so,' Wren said, stepping in front of the mirror. 'No, this is supposed to be it. It's correct. We're supposed to recite the enchantment and have my blood down there.'

'Maybe you've got to say it, Carrots,' Jake suggested. 'You're the princess, after all. You're the one.'

Creases appeared on Wren's forehead. 'You know I suck at the Pure Tongue, let alone pronounce all this -' she squinted at the piece of parchment, 'Vindis et cortha rai - rei - rea -?'

'Raeilm,' Ladislaya said helpfully. 'It's pronounced as ray-elm.'

'Yeah well, the words don't look like it.'

'That's why Tongue's confusing,' Jake put in. 'Either way, it makes much more sense to have Carrots read it.'

'Should have paid more attention in Tongues, not gonna lie,' Wren said, glancing down at the piece of parchment. 'Uh - alright, here we go -'

She cleared her throat and read, 'Vindis et cortha raielm eiqazlah.'

Apparently, it turned out better than what she expected. At first, nothing happened. Then, after a few minutes, the surface starting flowing and the watery waves began forming a pool of water slowly.

'Something's happening,' Jake breathed, straightening up. Wren backed away from the portal.

'Might want to stay away from it in case it blows up,' she said cautiously. Ladislaya turned her head to face her so fast her neck cricked.

'It'll blow up?'

'I mean - it's possible, but still, a wild guess -'

The pool of water in the portal deepened, and faint whispers echoed in the air. The enchantment seemed to have awakened the dormant magic within the mirror. The iridescent colors in the portal shifted, revealing glimpses of a mysterious realm beyond. Ladislaya shot Wren a nervous look.

'Is it supposed to make these sounds?'

'I ... suppose so,' Wren said, as a soft breeze emanated from its depths. The trio stood in awe, staring as the portal deepened, slowly swallowing the pool of water and instead, a new realm stood ahead, as the surface of the water.

'Oh ... my god,' Ladislaya breathed, the soft breeze from the mirror rustling her hair.

When Wren stepped closer to examine the mirror, she saw three dimensions.

One for each of them.