Chapter 16 - Wren, Jake and L̶a̶d̶i̶s̶l̶a̶y̶a̶ Lucian

'Thanks Matron, you saved our lives from Professor Alastair that night,' said Jake, walking into the hospital wing. 'Honestly, you are wonderful -'

'The best,' agreed Wren. 'Don't know what we'd do without you.'

Matron turned pink. 'Shut it,' she snapped, half-smiling. 'Lucian Ailwood is on the left corner, third bed from the right.'

It was only Wren and Jake who went to see Lucian Ailwood. Ladislaya said she couldn't because she had an appointment with a Professor Alana about some Abilities tips and tricks on how to summon your ability with less effort. Wren and Jake couldn't help feeling pleased, for if Ladislaya weren't there with them, they could ask Lucian anything without limit and probably create an outburst.

Apparently, Duncan had been dismissed from the hospital wing that morning. It was just Lucian Ailwood there.

'Mr Lucian Ailwood, you have visitors!' called Matron. She drew back his curtains and hurried away. Lucian sat up on his bed, a look of eagerness on his face - then it fell when he saw Wren and Jake scowling down at him.

'It's you,' he snarled.

'Yeah, what a wonderful surprise,' said Jake.

Lucian glared at him. His left arm was bandaged like a sling to his shoulder. His right leg was bandaged too - wrapped round firmly. Wren couldn't help but stare at the sharp, angry cuts on his forehead and cheeks.

'What do you want? The last thing I want to do is see you here. It might as well be the last thing I'd ever do.'

'We didn't want to see you out of a pitying heart,' fired Wren angrily, who'd had enough of Lucian's attitude. 'That night you were attacked was the night I wanted to find you and talk to you.'

Lucian looked at her. 'And what gave you the impression that I would talk to you?'

'Oh, I don't know, you've been pretty persistent on talking to me,' said Wren casually. Lucian flushed a bright red and turned away. Wren grabbed a chair, sat down and lowered her voice. 'You know something about Nicaea Valdis.'

'What are you talking about?' said Lucian defensively.

'Don't pretend, Lucian,' said Wren fiercely, clenching her fists. 'I swear, you are the most evil-hearted piece of scum who gives no crap about anything else but yourself -'

Jake cleared his throat.

'Anyway,' said Wren, resuming. 'Have you forgotten our little incident in front of everyone in the hallways not long before you got attacked by the fire? About how she'll stop at nothing to kill me. About how -'

Lucian turned around so his face was inches close to Wren, glaring so fiercely at her.

'And she will kill you, Princess, because that's what's going to happen to you - dead!' he spat spitefully.

'How do you know?' said Wren furiously. 'You don't know anything - anything - about Nicaea and I -'

'You think I don't?' breathed Lucian. 'Everyone does, Princess. The whole of Elryzian knows your story and your destiny. Your fate.'

'I'm the heir to the bloody throne!' yelled Wren.

'You're going to die!' shouted Lucian equally loudly. Jake grabbed him by the collar.

'You know what, Lucian?' he spat fiercely. 'What do you know of Nicaea Valdis so well that Wren doesn't, eh? Come on, tell us!'

'You dare -'