Chapter 19 - What Goes Unexpected

'Wren!'

The door to her bedroom swung open and there stood a thrilled Odyssey looking like ten suns had shone upon her face and that the dead had risen. 'I've got absolutely wonderful news!'

Wren groaned and turned around in her bed. 'I'm sleeping.'

'It's six in the morning, Wren!' called out the queen happily. 'I've already gotten the servants to have your bath ready!'

'My alarm doesn't go off till seven!' yelped Wren.

'Well, you want to get up a bit earlier than usual because I have got something to talk to you over breakfast this morning,' said Odyssey briskly. 'Come on, wake up already. I haven't got much time!'

Disgruntled, Wren was practically dragged out of bed by Odyssey. Odyssey pushed her into the washroom and slammed the door shut and Wren heard her parading down the stairs, singing merrily. Wren groaned and pressed her face to her palm.

After dunking herself in her bath, she pulled on her fresh uniform and had the palace servants treat to her as usual. They brushed her coat, combed her hair, lathered cream all over her face and in half an hour, she dashed down the stairs. Odyssey was sitting promptly on the kitchen-table, sipping tea.

'Morning, Wren,' she called cheerily. 'Sit down, will you.'

Wren sat, narrowing her eyes as she looked at her sister suspiciously. Why was she so happy? Wren lunged for some toast but recoiled under her sister's sudden glare.

'Manners, manners,' she warned. Wren hastily recovered herself and promptly reached for the bowl and pepper. 'Would you like some tea?' she prompted.

'I'll go for some chamomile today, thank you,' said Wren. As Odyssey poured her some, Wren reached for some scones and some preserved honey.

'So,' she said, 'what are you so happy about? What were you saying you wanted to tell me?'

'Eat first, dear,' said Odyssey, patting her on the back as she handed Wren the silven, china cup. 'Have you tried these grapes? They are most delicious.'

'Yeah I have, but that's not the point,' said Wren impatiently. 'What's up - what's going on?' she corrected herself mid-sentence.

'These pancakes are the softest, really,' said Odyssey maddeningly. To shut her up, Wren lunged for the pancakes, more preserved honey and a plate of omelettes. 'Try these,' Odyssey added, pushing a bowl of hot mushroom soup over to Wren. For a few minutes, the room was filled with silence, broken only by the clinking of cutlery , the tinkle of glasses ocassionally being put down and the pouring of water every now and then. Wren was on her third serving - croissants and a fruit bowl consisting of strawberries and kiwis when Odyssey cleared her throat.

'Now, Wren,' she said smoothly. 'The news.'

'The news,' repeated Wren.

'The news,' said Odyssey importantly.

'What's the news?' inquired Wren imploringly.

'Argonian is holding a ball,' trilled Odyssey.

Wren's brain stopped working and for a second, she squinted at Odyssey - Argonian, holding a ball - and then she realised she had been thinking about the wrong ball, or course, not the ball that dogs played catch with - the royal ones.

'Oh,' she said. 'A ball.'

'Exactly,' said Odyssey, rapping on the table. Wren gulped her chamomile tea to keep herself from talking. 'The ball will be held in here, of course. In the Grand Ballroom.'