Chapter 24 - The Storm

'I cannot believe we're doing what a bunch of fourteen-year-olds think we should do,' Elias said, clearly disgruntled. Jake held up his hands in surrender. 'We can't just let the ship get tossed around like this -'

'We won't get tossed around!' shouted Wren impatiently. 'Going with mother nature is a plan most likely not to fail.'

'It's too risky -'

'I was thinking about a different approach,' interjected Jake. 'Like using the anchor -'

Three cries of 'NO!' flushed down his voice at once and Jake shrank back, lookish sheepish. Elias turned to Wren.

'It's a life situation. We don't have time for experiments.'

'This,' Wren breathed, having had it, 'is not an experiment. And I gurantee you, if we die, which we will not, I will pay for everyone's hospital fee!'

All of them groaned. 'We haven't got time to argue,' Jake shouted. 'Storm's getting worse already. Must've been, what, a day already?'

'Around 42 hours,' Elias said. 'I'm getting the unnecessary cargo out - Wren, take one turn to West.'

'The work of a moment,' Wren said shortly, turning round on a heel as Jake saluted to Elias and shouted after him, 'You're the captain!'

The tempest had transformed the tranquil into a roaring, chaotic monster. Wren stuggled to keep herself standing - waves were crashing against the ship, water coming in, driven by the relentless wind. Each wave was a behemoth. The water had turned a dark, ominios gray and the salty spray of the water stung Wren's skin.

The wind, a malovent force, coursed through the air like small, rippling waves. It pulled at the sails and rigging as Elias, Jake and Ladislaya worked their way to keep it low.

'Gah!' spat Wren, as a bit of salt water psrayed into her mouth. The waves showed no mercy - Wren scowled as she steered the helm left.

The storm clearly wasn't dying anytime soon. Moments when the ship was rocked back and forth were truly scary. Everybody would stumble forward and lightning would crackle. Wren blinked every now and then as the flash of lightning grew sudden and intense.

'Around two more hours to go, chaps,' Elias announced. 'Hold on. Wren, you sure about this?'

'Very,' said Wren, her gut twisting, lying through her teeth. 'We can get this over with.'

Waves reached heights tall enough to swarf the ship. The ship was creaking and groaning horribly and Wren felt desperate. Beads of perspiration was working Elias's forehead.

'We're gonna get pushed down,' he told Wren anxiously. 'I put five pounds on it. We're going to die like a desperate, plunging bundle of salmon!'

'Chill, Elias,' Wren said. 'We're not worth salmon. It's really expensive.'

'Is that your concern now?' Elias shrieked.

'Excuse me, I'm on the same ship as you and I've noticed I might die as well!' Wren bellowed.

'Alright, alright! God!' Elias said, returning back to the helm. 'I'm stressed as hell!'

Rain lashed down in torrents, Wren soaked from head to foot. Lightning streaked across the sky, illuminating the tumultuos waves and revealing the monstrous specter of the storm. Thunder boomed, adding on to the chaos. The ship, meanwhile, a tiny vessel in the midst of this maelstrom, was tossed and turned at the mercy of the tempest's wrath.

'WATCH OUT!' screamed Jake's voice.

Everything happened suddenly - a flash of lightning and the deep roll of thunder; Wren toppled backwards and Ladislaya slipped against the deck - Elias screamed as well and Jake was shaking from head to foot.