Chapter 8 - Oh-So Secret

Wren squeezed her eyes tighter. Damn. She knew this voice. She'd heard him so many times in class even though it was just one lesson - she'd hear his voice perk up every now and then a million times.

'I ... thought I heard voices.'

Footsteps crawled closer. Wren opened her eyes a little to see a shadow that belonged to none other than Duncan Archambeau. She saw Jake's face peer up at her. Even though he wasn't saying anything, his face screamed, 'Is that who I think it is?'

Duncan edged closer towards the round table Jake was squatting uncomfortably under. He flipped through the open book and looked around.

'Hm.'

He took one or two steps back, then Wren noticed Jake had his face scrunched up, all red. His eyes bulged out and the way his cheeks puffed out told her that he had air collected inside. He did not look good, considering the way his face was reddened, and he looked as if he was about to sneeze -

Wren's heart stopped beating.

Oh Lord.

Quickly and hastily, Wren drew her hand across her throat, making wild hand movements that were supposed to say, 'Hold it in, hold it in.' The way Jake was shaking his head was a bad sign ...

Duncan hummed as he tapped his foot. He was calm. He didn't look like he was dying for Professor Haldes to call his name out to answer a question. He looked relaxed.

He looked like ... he was waiting.

Suddenly, a loud 'atchoo' conquered the silence of the room, making Wren jump slightly. She rolled her eyes, knowing immediately it was Jake. Duncan turned on a heel sharply.

'Who's there?'

'No one,' Jake squeaked. Wren groaned inwardly, pressing her palm to her forehead. A frown from Duncan.

'Kai, is that you? Stop playing pranks.'

Wren jogged her memory back and then remembered Kai, brother of Corinne. Were Kai and Duncan meeting up? Honestly, she wouldn't be surprised that Kai would be here - but Duncan?

Duncan did not seem like the boy you'd expect who wants to find out about Shadow Angels - if that was what he was doing.

'Uh -' Jake squeaked again, looking at Wren for support. Wren made the stop sign.

'Are you telling me I should stop?' Jake mumbled, loud enough for Duncan to here. Wren nodded vigorously as Duncan sighed.

'Yeah. Get out of there. I think Estella's on her way now.'

What? Wren swore under her breath. Enigmatic Estella would be here. Of course she would be here. Of course anyone would be here.

No reply from Jake.

'Kai?'

And Duncan looked under the table.

No! shrieked Wren's mind. Why would he look under the table? NO!

'There you are, Kai! I told you to stop fooling around and that Estella's gonna be here in five -' Duncan froze when he saw Jake's face. Jake seemed as paranoid as he was.

'Um, hi?'

Duncan shrieked and collapsed into a heap of boxes backwards. Wren hurled herself out of her hiding spot, grabbed Jake's arm and shouted Ladislaya's name twice as fast, hoping Duncan would be too overwhelmed to notice anything.