INTRO

My name is Katherine Mendes and I am black, the only black citizen in my country Koura.

In My Country Koura, there used to be a history of black citizens, but the funny aspect is they don't exist anymore, or at least they aren't visible.

Last I heard was six years ago, of a black man who committed suicide, it was known that he used to be a scientist. And secretly he used to be my hope, but now I walk down the streets of Koura with the reminder that I only have me to prove myself.
In the country koura, light skin is the ideal kind of skin or should I say the only kind of skin to have as a citizen. The way blacks used to be perceived earned them a bad place in minds of the Kourians. There was nothing as bad as being black, except maybe suicide. But my case came off different because I was lucky to be born into a family with a scientist.

Based on the hierarchy of our government artisans (artists) came first in every kind of arrangement, they own the law, they breathe it, and they thrive in every aspect of creativity, hence earning them a place in the top chain. As for the scientists, they aren't as important as the artisans but they do seem to have an immunity that basically covers them, sort of like a green card.
My dad Harry Mendes is part of a secret organization of scientists, they have the lab to themselves, so my immunity as a lab scientist's daughter brought me a lot of advantage, I could breathe normal, wear my hair normal. And have my space, without getting crowded, that of course didn't mean that people wouldn't stare. The staring just came with your brown skin.

And it didn’t help that recently the president of Koura, Felix Russell passed a decree, stating that “any man caught trying to sneak a black person in the country would by no means escape being beheaded”. Currently the number of black citizens in the country is one. And that is me. How I got to be the only one, I would never know but I do know that we used to thrive, I've seen the pictures, Mama still kept them, but each year they seemed to be involved in unbelievable crimes. Crimes that I think were aimed at eradicating the black race. The hate slowly became mutual, as a war unfolded. The brutality, and the turnover of events, caused the blacks their heads.
But deep within I believe justice will be ensued.